Peugeot 307 1.4.hdi 8V 2003

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Google44

Peugeot 307 1.4.hdi 8V 2003

Post by Google44 »

Hi everyone

I've got a problem with 307 where is would not start after it has been locked. Otherwise, it start every time. However, 30 seconds after start rev counter would stop working together with engine temperature followed by STOP. The car would still run OK.

I've got Planet. Here is the list of codes:

Remote parameter fault. CAN communication absence of built-in interface communication U1118
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication no communication U1003
Remote parameter fault. CAN communication Engine ECU dead P0500

I've replaced Crank and Cam sensor so far from working vehicle. Did not affect it. Also, doing a scan BSI comes with no faults and all test done on BSI will nicely work on speedo, rev counter, temp etc.

Now I am desperate to get it going

Prior to this it was running perfect, had new injectors and full set of tyres with tracking a few month ago. I would be sad to let it go. If it is engine ECU - do I need to get ECU BSM and BSI with speedo? If engine start and runs how could it be engine ECU. Clearly Engine ECU cannot talk to BSI somehow but PP2000 talks to both OK. If anybody has wiring diagram It would help?

Also, can I just replace BSI and speedo without engine ECU and BSM.

Any advice/help is welcomed
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Peugeot 307 1.4.hdi 8V 2003

Post by RichardW »

Where are those codes stored? BSI or underbonnet fuse box? I would suspect either a wiring fault somewhere, or the fuse box or BSI has gone awry.
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The BSM & the instrument panel are not coded parts so can be replaced separately from everything else. However if you replace an instrument panel from a higher mileage car it will transfer the higher mileage to your BSI.
The Injection ECU, BSI & transponder chips from the keys all need to be replaced as a set when using 2nd hand parts as they are all matched to each other.
Google44

Post by Google44 »

Thanks for your reply. So just to recap - the codes I have mentioned before were detected by Planet on Engine ECU. No fault detected on BSI unit with Planet. Also, a test of every instrument in cluster worked absolutely fine. One would say it is engine ECU then. However, why does it start and run OK when door not been locked. Also Planet talk to it OK. The codes are pointing towards connection between engine ECU and BSI.

So BSM is not coded part and it will work if replaced from another car. I think I did try once 2004 display only from another 307 (facelift) and car failed to start.

Can someone point me to wiring diagram - specially Engine ECU to BSI please
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is the car fitted with any aftermarket electrical stuff eg CD player, alarm, handsfree kit or towbar electrics.
Have you tried a BSI reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes ?
Have you checked all the connectors on the injection ECU & BSM for water ingress ?
This is indeed a strange one. When the car fails to start does the starter still operate but just not firing ?
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Most likely you have the Bosch edc16c engine ECU. This is not an unusual problem with these ECUs. The problem as far as I can ascertain is likely to be the soldering of the BGA processor chip which has a built in can interface. The ECU can be replaced with a second hand unit which is reasonably close in part number. It can be cloned off your old ECU. Most of the "chip tuners" have the capability to do this. This avoids all the complications of the immobiliser, keys and the BSI.
Google44

Post by Google44 »

Thanks. I was thinking you cannot replace engine ECU with second hand but only with virgin new so it can be programmed.

My ECU is BOSH EDC16C3 47, and there is a number 96 471 581 80 under it. Guess that is the numbers you are referring to
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Yes they are the numbers. There is also a Bosch part number (every Bosch product is identified by a 10 digit number) which for this family of ecus goes 0 281 010 ???.
As I said these can easily be cloned allowing the replacement ECU to be just plugged in. This saves the whole nonsense of changing the BSI etc. The other option is to get a second hand one and have the immobiliser bypassed. Again most chip tuners can do it.
Google44

Post by Google44 »

Thanks for info. Since I work with software and day I took the engine ECU out and opened it. I guess the flash chip needs to be removed and placed in new ECU. However, to my surprise after I've cleaned a lot of things and put it back - presto! All works. Car can be locked and unlocked and engine rev counter and everything springs back to life. Now I know there is defo a fault on ECU which I may or may not fixed by opening and cleaning it. Will look for another ECU just in case if it fails again. I will replace the eeprom/flash myself. Thanks
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

That is the nature of dry joints, touch the thing and the fault goes away:- for a while. The fault will most likely come back. There is a little 8 pin DIL eEPROM chip probably 95160, which holds the immo information. Swap this chip from the donor to the replacement ECU and the replacement ECU will run. However it may throw up fault codes for a checksum error or injector programming errors. There are 3 non volatile memories on these ECUs. The 8 pin 95160, the 44 pin flash AM29????? and the microprocessor which is a BGA device with no pins showing. To clone the ECU all 3 should be copied. You can of course use an EPROM programmer.
Google44

Post by Google44 »

Thanks. The BGA is obviously the most difficult one to replace. I do have access to laser heat station tho. Wonder if I could read it now while it is working. Almost worth dropping a map file on it while everything will be in pieces.

Beside being a dry joint the thermal paste could get contaminated by aluminium it was glued on. Loose bits could easily be conductive.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

It sounds like you have had a look at hardware as well as software along the way. You have as good an idea as anyone else of where you can go with this. You can use either BDM 100 or an EPROM programmer to clone the chips or you could swap them over. I certainly wouldn't try reballing the processor but you might have access to an IR rework station. I only have hot air a soldering iron and a vacuum plunger. The can bus is interfaced in a Bosch branded chip on the corner of the board. Along the way from the plug it has the terminating resistors. I cannot remember the number of the chip but I could get no data on it. Perhaps some liquid flux and heating the processor to approx. 300C might solve your problem.