peugeot 806 hdi fuel gauge

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

m300td
My Cars: citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive
citroen c8 2.0 hdi sx doner
Peugeot boxer 2.0 hdi
citroen c5 2.0 tourer x7
Peugeot 806 2.0 hdi

peugeot 806 hdi fuel gauge

Post by m300td »

hi could any one help traveling home tonight i noticed that my fuel gauge had gone to full and stops there does drop to empty put as soon as you turn ing on goes stright to full temp gauge is normal has anyone had similar faul dont fancy taking the tank off again to get the sender unit out a few months ago i changed the thing!!
malc
lexia owner nr telford
citronut
My Cars:

Re: peugeot 806 hdi fuel gauge

Post by citronut »

sound like you might have the gauge feed wire earthing out unless it is the sender, maybe a plug connector in the loom on route to the front of the car has got wet,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

First important step. Zero trip meter, fill tank and monitor mileage so you don't run out. :-)

Gauge to zero when you switch off is normal (ignition fed) but as gauge moves you know it is working. That leaves sender or wiring. ( slight risk float is stuck but that is still a sender fault)

Senders are usually resistance units driven by float. If you disconnect the sender with ignition on the gauge should drop to zero, if not it is wiring fault.

You can put a multimeter across the sender to earth and measure resistance, drive a bit to lower fuel level and re-check but from above you will already know the source.

Don't forget the signal usually goes to the gauge via the BSI so it can work out mpg, low fuel warning etc. so may be worth a long shot of a simple BSI reset.

For wiring all you can really do is bridge between connectors until you find faulty length and look for fault. Going to full suggests short to earth so possibly damp ( but that does not usually give a dead 020 3026 9958. Look for trapped cables etc. have you had any work done recently that might have caught a cable?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
m300td
My Cars: citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive
citroen c8 2.0 hdi sx doner
Peugeot boxer 2.0 hdi
citroen c5 2.0 tourer x7
Peugeot 806 2.0 hdi

Post by m300td »

*******FIXED******** had to bite the bullet and remove the tank and sender again
what had happened is the plastic baffle had come unclipped from the bracket that secures it to the tank and with it floating around in the tank managed to hit the float arm and dislodge the float arm from the sender unit when it happened it managed to do it in the full position!!
when I reposistioned it I drilled a hole through the bracket and baffle and put a tie wrap round it
lexia owner nr telford