307 1.4hdi Airbag and abs error message

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

307 1.4hdi Airbag and abs error message

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF,

It has been a while since i've have been stuck, but i was recently "gifted" with a Peugeot 307 1.4 hdi 2002 (i think gifted was the right word :?), However it was towed to me as a non runner. Cut a long story short the car had been severly abused by previous people (cant call them mechaincs or fitters) with some appalling sights.

I have so far found and repaired broken leak off fuel pipe, the composite crank pulley failed and cut into the timing belt cover shredding the auxillary belt which managed to jump into a cut in the casing of the timing belt to cause the timing belt to jump a couple of teeth. I noted that the BSI had been aggresively opened, i.e. broken case clips, and then began to ring alarm bells, even more so when i also found that someone had desoldered 5 led's off the speedometer clocks.

I Ended up having to pay for the log book and when it eventually arrived and i checked the mot history, turned out the car had been "mileage corrected" and lost some 80,000 miles :cry: .

anyway knowing these engines are fairly good (still got my 206 going strong at 157,000 miles) i thought i would put my faith in getting this engine running, so swapped the timing belt/pulleys, water pump, crank sensor, crank pulley re-timed it all up and put a battery on it yesterday noting the bsi procedure to avoid blowing it up BUT Engine started!!!!!!!! =D> =D>

Got a few minor electrical gremlins to sort but read the codes for an airbag message and ABS message but please could i ask what does the error code mean below?

1) "Airbag ECU, Permanent Fault, Drivers Module Trigger - level 2 open circuit."

2) "ABS Permanent Fault, Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor, open circuit or short circuit to positive".

Regarding the airbag ECU error message, is it this a faulty Com 2000 unit and the clockspring wiring/mechanism, the actual airbag ecu or something else?

Regarding the ABS is this just a case of getting another lead, as after trying to clear the codes these 2 codes were the only ones remaining after replacing various other defective items.

Can anyone give me advice on what the air bag and abs messages are likely to relate to please [-o<
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 307 1.4hdi Airbag and abs error message

Post by RichardW »

1. Yes, most likely the clockspring in the COM 2000
2. Yes, likely the ABS sensor - might just not be plugged in correctly though. They're a bit of a pig to change on 307s though as they screw into the back of the hub, and the end of the bolt pokes out through the front, so is prone to corroding up. You need to get the disc off at least to clean up the outer end of the bolt, then apply some plus gas, then some heat to the hub, and you might get it out - otherwise it will just snap off, and you will have to drill the bolt out, which probably means removing the hub from the car. Did both front wheel bearings on mine recently - one bolt snapped, the other came out...
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

with the air bag fault i would lop off the plug connector under the passengers front seat, then fit new lucar/crimp terminals, do one wire at a time the make sure you dont miss them up
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Thank you RichardW and Citronut, i took the car apart earlier :-D so after check the underseat connectors for play, i cleaned its connectors, i moved onto the ecu and found that someone had spilt a drink in the past which didnt help the airbag control module, so cleaned up the module, following dismatling the ecu and spraying the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and allowing to dry. I then dismantled the airbag with a view to checking the clockspring and as soon as i pulled the airbag towards me i noted that whoever had plugged the upper contact onto the airbag had bent the pin to the wrong side of its connector.

Careful manipulation with 2 micro screwdrivers corrected the pin alignement and carefully plugged it back it before pushing back its securing latch. Reconnected battery after putting car together, AIRBAG FAULT GONE!!!!! =D>

ABS sensor, found that sensor had been snapped and was therefore not making contact near to magnetic ring :cry: now trying to source suitable replacement, but at least left with only the 1 error message.

Only other strange thing i cant get my head round, i cant get the electric windows/mirrors to behave unless planet Peugeot is plugged in. i.e if drivers door window is up if you switch on ignition and window will wind down fine, however it only goes up in 5mm intervals before pausing and going another 5mm etc. Passenger side switch on drivers keypad refuses to operate passenger side door window although the passenger side switch does work as long as planet peugeot is plugged in. as soon as its disconnected "Game Over" even the passenger side windows happily winds down but refused to go up.

Am guessing this means i need replacements but is this a common thing too?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ABS -sounds like someone tried to removed the wheel bearing without removing the sensor first....

Window - driver's side sounds like you just need to reset the anti-pinch - step it up to the top, then press and hold the up switch for 5s and that should re-set it.

It's not unknown for the brain in the driver's door window switch to go bonkers and cause all sorts of oddities with the passenger window - but usually only when operated from there (although I suppose it's possible all the intelligence is in that door, and problems might manifest across to the passenger door!).
Richard W
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Okay thank you for the help, i will have a go at this tomorrow and post the outcome of destroying electrical gremlins!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my friends 307 had problems with the front door windows,
i took the switch panel apart from the drivers door to find water had got onto the PCB, cleaned it all up with a fiberglass contact cleaning pencil, and it functions as it should, even the passengers window
Regards, malcolm.

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello again FCF,

I have now discovered a slightly different problem regarding electric windows on my Peugeot 307 1.4hdi 2002, as per a sensible suggestion, i took the electric window switches off the front door cards, carefully dismatled what was left of the previous muppets attempts on the table, cleaned the pads using a fibreglass pen as suggested, put them back together and put them back on this morning.

Tried as i might the drivers door window motor will wind down fully when pressed but will still only move upwards by 5mm ish between pauses before moving again so takes ages! the passenger switch on the drivers door side switch didnt seem to work but the passenger side also wound down fully when press on the actual passenger side switch, and again fully refused to move up at all when pressed.

Now found something super odd, the leds that sit beneath the switch covers on all three switches were flashing :? (in a similar way to an Xbox 360 that has the red ring of death or a visual version similar to morse code) although i struggled to see the order of flashes i.e 1 solid flash, 2 flashes followed by another solid flash, 2 flashes and a pause, 3 flashes and a pause, 3 flashes and a pause, cut a long story short it means nothing to me yet, but i suspect that it is code for something, i cant find details of what this is as yet, i have a mpeg video of this "bizarre" light sequence display but please could i ask if anyone understands what this indicates, also please could i ask if someone has a wiring diagram that they dont mind me sharing as the Haynes book of lies is useless.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have no idea if you light/disco display means anything at all,

but what condition were the contact areas of the door switch PCB's look, some on my friends looked a bit burnt, so another friend in electronics took the board to work with him and repaired the tracks,

have you had a pug planet plugged up this car???
Regards, malcolm.

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Its got me bewildered currently, also happy to email you a copy of the "disco lights sequence" that are the leds flashing underneath the electric widow switches!!.

The contacts were the first thing under scrutiny before trying to determine live and ground points to switches etc and all is good order between the door connectors and the door/car pillar. Other odd thing temperature doesnt show on display but again I have tested the wiring and measured the resistance against a known working unit and all the wiring is sound.

I have had it connected to Planet Peugeot, and as it runs through a "Global Scan" it clearly identifies both drivers side and passenger side and says no faults found. also when i go in to test the actuators/motors all is normal until planet peugeot is unplugged at which point its almost like the permanent supply is removed and both motors resort to "reset".

Is there somewhere in planet Peugeot that saves this configuaration to the BSI for the motors as nothing seemed to appear to save anything after testing the actuator, as i suspect this is possibly the problem.

I did check the fuses on the bsi and 12+ volt was were was its supposed to be, unfortunatley the "joke book" sorry the Haynes manual should incorrect details for the front switches and supply lines so cant be relied upon hence i would like to "borrow" a proper peugeot wiring diagram to identify continuity, supply and ground points for the 307 1.4hdi.