Oil change etc.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Oil change etc.

Post by civvie »

For the last approx 50 years since I got my licence I have serviced all the family cars, new oil, filters etc plus replacing items as needed. This morning I attempted to change the oil on my 3008 1.6 HDI. Started by looking underneath where I can put the jack to raise it up to put some axle stands, thats when the trouble started, underneath is the plastic panel that covers the complete bottom of the engine area. Never mind I thought it will take longer but if I can undo all the bolts that hold this panel with a bit of luck I can see where to put the axle stands and find the sump bolt.
No such luck it seems these bolts have never been undone since the car was built, and they are now rusted in. It seems the dealer must have emptied the oil by some other method (suction?). Feeling a bit pi55ed off by these thing beating me. Think the days of crawling under the car are slowly coming to a halt not as agile as I used to be.
As suggested a minute ago any one got any thoughts on these suction pumps that will suck up the oil out of the sump. Are they any good.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Oil change etc.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot personally offer an opinion of the pump, but due to the engine layout in her engine room (of her narrow boat) the service engineer needs to use one. The one he uses seems to do a good job (well, her engine hasn't given any grief so far).

If you can get hold of some, Plus Gas is very good at getting into the threads (of seized nuts and bolts) and gets them to let go (after daily treatment for about a week). You can get Plus Gas from Euro Car Parts, but I cannot remember the cost. I have also seen people on e-bay selling stainless steel bolts and nuts with captive cages, so that could be worth checking out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've got a Sealey suction pump. It works well on the 2.0HDi and the 1.4 petrol engines I've used it on. Never tried it on a 1.6 HDi.

If the fasteners on your car are the same as my Berlingo, they twist through 90 degrees and come down. They do seize. A large screwdriver got mine off. When I bothered with the undertray I replaced all the fasteners.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If it were my car and given that you have not been in there before, I would drain the oil, then remove the sump baffle for a thorough clean.
New gasket and clean oil. It will do that engine the world of good and may surprise you ,how much gunge is in there. Those 1.6hdi gunge up.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I sympathies, I passed my car test in 1956 and I don't understand modern cars either, at least no petrol ones, the last one I owned had a carburetor and distributor. I run the 2.0. 8 Valve Hdi's which are still relatively recognisable.

That 1.6 is a good engine but as lexi says they need clean oil, most turbo failures are down to sludge, the oil really needs changing about twice as often as stipulated and the in line filter removing from the turbo oil feed.

Peter
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Thanks all for the reply and help.
I see where you are coming from Lexi about dropping the sump, that's one of my problems at the mo, if I could get the bloody plastic under tray off that would be an option to go for, but at the mo I can't see where to put the axle stands safely. (Not going under with just a jack ok its a hydraulic one but)
The fasteners are of the type where one part is attached "clipped" to one bit of plastic, there is a proper thread in it, a normal 10mm bolt then screws into it holding the under tray, of course the underneath is so closed up I can't see where to spray plus gas cause I can't get under the bloody thing. Talk about catch22.

Mike think i'll give your option a try after all if I give it to a garage they will do it the same way, this way I will have the suction pump for future use.

Going to have a go at the air filter today, that will be fun as well.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks like the same undertray as our C4 Picasso - 3off 13mm bolts at the front, 2 10mm nust as the back, and the 2 10mm bolts at the sides that won't come out. you should be able to coax the front and rear ones out, the sides ones won't come - you just need to butcher the undertray or wing liner to release it (you'll never get the bolts out!), then drill a hole in each and secure it with a cable tie when you put it back.

I jack ours under the sills, and then place axle stands under the roll bar brackets. Note however, if you do this, then you can't remove the undertray as it needs to be slid backwards a long way to get it out, and the stands foul it. I remove it on ramps first.

Re the oil change - preference for this engine is to drain it out the bottom - they are prone to sluding up. Use only the correct 5W30 C2 spec oil and change it more often then specifed. You need a 27mm socket with extension to remove the oil filter, then it is a bit of a fight to free the filter from the lid. Wear gloves....!

Air filter is a PITA as it is tucked right up under the scuttle. 4mm allen key on a ratchet best to remove the 3 screws along the front edge. If it's done more than about 40k miles, and no record of a fuel filter change, then do that while you are there - they block up and cause limp mode. And to change them you need to remove the air filter box lid.....!

If you haven't done it already, then remove the filter from the turbo oil feed pipe. This alone will save the turbo in future if the engine starts to sludge up. This is a couple of hours work as you have to remove the DPF, which means removing the radiator.... If this is removed and the engine does sludge up, then eventually you will get low oil pressure warning. In this case remove the sump, and then remove the strainer from the oil pick up to prevent re-occurence. While you have the air pipes off, remove the vacuum pump (easy, just 2 bolts) then check the inlet oil gauze for signs of fouling.
Richard W
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Did the air filter to day, boy what a marathon that is, took all morning. Did read on another forum that its easier if you remove the scuttle then access to the filter housing is easier, it may be if you can see how to remove the scuttle! anyway now sorted.
Car hasn't done 40K yet so the fuel filter will wait for now maybe next time air filter is replaced.

Actually Richard I did manage to remove the two bolts each side but it was the other ones that have beaten me for now, did dip the bolts in grease before replacing though.
Will be doing the oil when my new suction pump arrives, Richard you say its a bit of a fight to free the filter, explain please? I thought if I undo the housing it would just lift off then the filter could be extracted and the new one popped in, why could they not have kept to a normal cartridge filter type, spin the old one off screw a new one in. Bloody PSA.
Steve

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ah, the oil filter....

When you look at the clean one you will see that one end has a spigot on it, the other a circle of a fibrous / papery material. When you put it in, put the filter in the housing, engage the spigot in the hole in the base, and then screw the lid down. When you do this, there are clips in the filter lid which engage with the top middle of the filter. Now, when you unscrew the housing lid it handily pulls the filter out of the housing for you (place a bit of kitchen roll under the edge of the lid or it leaks all over the top of the gearbox and potentially down into the clutch!). So far, so good, but you are then left with the filthy old oil filter firmly clipped into the lid, and it can be reluctant to be separated. You just have to twist and pull to free it - it will come eventually. Meanwhile you will now be covered in oil :P I've found that you can help this by putting your hand in a freezer bag, and then using that to grip the filter and pull it off, so it then drops into the bag and leaves your hand clean.

Removing the scuttle is not that bad, although you do have to remove the wiper arms first :roll:

See here from about 1 min in:

Found this cunning tool for filter removal as well.... :roll:

Richard W
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Ok all sorted now, the suction pump arrived so the oil has been changed and new filter put in, saw the Blue Peter bit about using an old toilet roll middle to get the filter out, didn't work for me, so just gripped the housing and put a screwdriver into the side of the old filter, came out in the end. Think I managed to get more oil out this way due to I believe the sump plug is not level to the bottom of the sump.

Although I have had a pair of ramps for years I have been unable to fit them under the front wheels due to the clearance on these cars, have just found you can get extensions from the bay, will look into this over the next few weeks, then i'll have another look at the undertray and dropping the sump.
Can this turbo feed filter be removed with the sump dropped ? don't fancy mucking about removing the rad etc.
Richard the scuttle is slightly different on a 3008, its in one piece, it looks as if the C4 is a two parter.
Last edited by civvie on 11 Apr 2015, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I just use a couple of pieces of wood to lessen the angle on the ramp - but I have managed to scrape the bumper.... could do with some ramp extenders I think!

The only way to get the turbo filter out is to remove the DPF - the filter is in the banjo bolt at the bottom end of the oil feed pipe, and this is screwed into the face of the block behind the DPF.
Richard W
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

My understanding is that dealers are instructed by PSA not to use suction to drain the oil from the 1.6hdi. It should be drained from a hot engine through the sump bung. After removing the bung then loosen the filter but only lift it slightly clear of the threads. Leave it like that for several minutes. This allows the oil to drain from the housing into the sump through the hole normally plugged by the tit on the bottom of the filter. After removing the filter the remaining few mL of oil can be suctioned from the filter housing.
mrjohnson
My Cars:

Post by mrjohnson »

I had to resort to trying the Youtube video mentioned above to get the oil filter cartridge out of the cap.

The cardboard toilet roll described in the video just soaks up the remaining oil and does soggy.....useless.

I had some fairly stiff/thin plastic sheet which I curled into the relevant tube shape. It worked a treat, with no danger of breaking anything.

Aside from the danger of cuts to the hands, the wall of a tin can suitable bent into a tube would probably work too.

Cheers

Martyn