Expert DW8 rattle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

apehanger
My Cars:

Expert DW8 rattle

Post by apehanger »

Hi to all, I have been poking around the forum for an hour or so and could do with some advice.
I'm currently in south west France on holiday in my van and today when i started it it up while the engine was warm it began to misfire and rattle while emitting white (unburned diesel) smoke on tickover , I took it for a 10 mile spin and the smoke cleared almost immediately and it seemed to perform ok but it continues to rattle like an old school diesel.
Before i left for france i had noticed that no 4 injector had and still has a very slight diesel leak from where the needle lift sensor joins it so i'm guessing its the problem.
I dont want to take it to a garage round here and be ripped off and Ive got a 900 mile drive home, so 2 questions, is there any way i can test the needle sensor ( i think i can lay my hands on a multimeter) also will it do any damage if i drive it home so i can mend it there ? your thoughts please? thanks in advance.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Expert DW8 rattle

Post by Peter.N. »

The knocking is probably being caused by the pump timing being over advanced due to a sensor fault. I have on several occasions had crankshafts break due to running over advanced but that was on old Perkins engines with three bearing crankshafts. You could possibly retard the pump by slackening the the three nuts that clamp it to the front plate and turning it clockwise looking from the rear, but if it runs to retarded it will get hot. Your safest bet is to try and find an injector.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If the TDC sensor signal or the needle lift sensor signal is awol it is likely to go fully advanced as Peter has said.

Does this van have a tachometer fitted in the instrument panel ? (and if so does it still work)

I don't think you can turn the pump on the DW8 its a fixed mounting like the TUD5, it only fits in one place. Having said that you could in theory ignore the pump timing pin hole and adjust the timing that way, but that's a bit of work.

I'd be tempted to just have a wiggle of the wiring around the pump (unplug the plugs on it and check they are not corroded etc) it may be something really simple.

Is the 'K' light (the engine management light) on ?

I wonder if its air ingress making it run roughly...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
apehanger
My Cars:

Post by apehanger »

Peter thanks for the reply, Spider it doesn't have a tacho and theres no k light on, definately no air ingress as they are see through pipes and theres no bubbles at all , i'll have a fiddle with the wires around pump etc as it was too dark last night, is there any way i could check the needle sensor ?
spider

Post by spider »

I'm not aware of a way of checking it without it being plugged into a Lexia / Planet. The signals produced would be tiny so you'd need something like a 'scope rather than a multimeter. Having said that it probably has a resistance but I'm unaware of what it would be.

I guess one other cause could the the control arm potentiometer (throttle position sensor, I know that's the wrong term) but its sat on the control arm. I would expect the K light to be on if the needle lift sensor or position sensor were wrong or absent.

I thought about your EGR valve sticking open, that is not that uncommon with a DW8 either. That's usually easy enough to see as well with a bit of dismantling as its in the air intake pipework. Quite a few DW8's seem to just have the vacuum supply removed and capped off to stop it opening (personally, not a bad idea) but if its gummed and jammed slightly open this will not close it. No vacuum = close but as I say if its got crud stopping it closing... I don' think it can detect this either, not unless the electrical plug is removed it does not know where the valve is ie open / closed.
Andy.

apehanger
My Cars:

Post by apehanger »

Spider the egr has been capped off for a couple of years, it just fired up first time but still with the rattle and I have just managed to check connections and all seems ok, also managed to use torque pro obd2 app on phone and no fault codes were shown and its reading the tacho ok on the app , and disconnecting the needle sensor made no difference at all, after scratching head for 5 mins i remembered i filled up with diesel at a small local garage yesterday so i drained the filter housing to find two or three thimble fulls of water in it bearing in mind that i emptied/cleaned housing and replaced filter a thousand miles ago, so maybe its pulled a bit of water through and damaged an injector and that would maybe explain the 5 minutes of smoke and misfire yesterday. I'm now gonna take it for a 20 mile drive to see if it makes any difference. [-o<
apehanger
My Cars:

Post by apehanger »

OK, so just taken it for a 20 mile spin and all seems fine apart from the rattle, so hopefully it'll get me home , Thanks for all the help.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote:
I don't think you can turn the pump on the DW8 its a fixed mounting like the TUD5, it only fits in one place. Having said that you could in theory ignore the pump timing pin hole and adjust the timing that way, but that's a bit of work.
Correct the DW8 pump is on a fixed bracket & cant be rotated that way.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Shows how much I know. :oops:
apehanger
My Cars:

Post by apehanger »

Update, Managed to get the van back in one piece, it ran ok at cruising speed and it turned out to be the needle lift sensor on number 4 injector and was running on full advance as was rightly said,
So had to replace whole injector (not Cheap),
I'm quite surprised that it never triggered the K light
Thanks for all the advice and i hope it helps someone in the same situation.
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks for posting back.

Slightly surprised it did not trigger the K light though, but I guess stranger things have happened. I bet if it was unplugged it would (missing / incorrect signal error code)
Andy.

apehanger
My Cars:

Post by apehanger »

Hi Spider, I unplugged the sensor in France and no k light, thats what confused me in the first place
The reason i bought this van was that it had minimal electronics, i had a merc vito 110cdi before this and it was over complicated and a nightmare.
I took it out today after fitting the new injector and the power steering pumps started leaking fron the pulley seal, the vans only done 100k, youve got to laugh.