different diesel problems.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maxfox44
My Cars:

different diesel problems.

Post by maxfox44 »

205 GLD 1769cc
I think I'm taking in air into the fuel line. I have change the fuel filter and seal. How do I bleed the air out to see if its still going on. Secondly, what else could I check. Mostly, its only a problem starting. But very recently I get pulses and dead spots whilst drving.
HELP
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi, What injection equipment is on it and where is the fuel filter located.
Dave
maxfox44
My Cars:

Post by maxfox44 »

Not sure about the injection stuff. The filter is about fist size and is found just the other side of windscreen from the driver. Ie top left when standing at the front of the car looking towards to the back.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It's more than likely Lucas CAV/Rotodiesel, if it is the fuel filter will be a canister that has a two part housing top and bottom held in place with a bolt going through the middle, care must be taken when changing filters that no dirt gets trapped between the seals, I have seen it before and it doesn't take much, the minutest gap can alow air in but not let fuel out, when the engine is running the pump sucks small amounts of air in and when switched off fuel slowly runs back to the tank, drawing more air in and still not letting fuel escape, eventualy air starts being drawn the odd bubble at a time into the injection pump causing missfires or poor starting, there are other places for air to get in like loose joints and split pipes especialy leakoff pipes from injectors, the metal supply line (think it was aluminium) from the tank to the front of the car corroded on my 205 and caused air to get in, because it was the lowest point in the system it also let fuel out making it easey to spot, there is a bleed nipple on the outlet banjo union facing the windscreen, the priming pump on top of the filter has to be unscrewed before it can be raised but be careful as the plunger easily detaches from the shaft if raised to fast, there should be no need to bleed past this point unless the car is actualy run out of fuel, when all air is expelled from the nipple close it and give the pump a few more strokes untill resistance is felt, check also the plastic drain cock in the bottom part of the filter housing.
HNY
Dave