Peugeot Partner engine advise please.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madwelshman

Peugeot Partner engine advise please.

Post by madwelshman »

Hey folks,

I'm new on here and there seems to be a hell of a lot of info to take in.
So :-) as the title says, I'm looking to get rid of my Daihatsu Fourtrak and buy a Partner. Now I've driven quite a few Pugs with the XUD lump in and know how good and reliable they are, but am unsure weather I should stick to that engine, or go for an HDI.
My driving will be varied, some local, some longer journeys. I have always driven diesels fairly hard(keeps them clean in my mind), but never until fully warmed up and never had any emisions problems on my Pugs come MOT time.

Can anyone tell me when the HDI's were introduced to the Partner and which one (1.6 or 2.0) is the most reliable, fault free engine overall.
I know and appreciate that it depends a lot on servicing, driving styles, abuse etc, but a general overall idea would be very helpful.
Also, DPF's, which HDI's had them and from when? I've read they were introduced in 2006. Is this right?
Also2, dual mass flywheels, which engines had them and from when if anyone knows?
ANY help/advice will be much appreciated.
I dare say this has been asked before, but I can't find it on here, sorry

So sorry for SOOOO many questions.

Will :-)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Peugeot Partner engine advise please.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Make sure to go for the 2.0l HDi. There is a known issue with the 1.6l that can get expensive. Only consider a 1.6l if you know the service history.

Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask any questions, otherwise how will you get the information you need.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
madwelshman

Post by madwelshman »

Thank you for your reply and advice Hell razor.
I'm looking at up to a 2008 model depending on money and the advise I get.

Does the 2.0 hdi have any issues to watch out for? What about dpf filters and dual mass flywheels, does the 2.0 have them, if so is it on all of them?

I'm aware of the turbo and carbon issues with the 1.6 hdi and have heard/read that blanking off the egr valve helps this a bit. Also shorter service intervals including dropping the sump to clean out and check the oil pick up gauze while it's off plus check/change the gauze filter in the turbo oil supply pipe.

I was wondering what other people reckon to this info?

Again, sorry for all the questions.
Will
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The best and simplest engine is the 2.0. 8 valve Hdi, no DPF and very reliable, I have one in a 406 that's covered over 230k and is mostly still original. I don't know if they used that engine as late as 08 though.

Peter
madwelshman

Post by madwelshman »

Peter.N. wrote:The best and simplest engine is the 2.0. 8 valve Hdi, no DPF and very reliable, I have one in a 406 that's covered over 230k and is mostly still original. I don't know if they used that engine as late as 08 though.

Peter
Thank you Peter. It doesn't have to be as new as 08, but as new/tidy as I can afford, but with a reliable engine.
A much appreciated and helpful reply.

Cheers
Will
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot offer any more advise. The reason I know about the 1.6l issues is because they have been widely discussed here on the forum.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
madwelshman

Post by madwelshman »

That's fair enough and thank you for responding to my post.

Will
milly

Post by milly »

Talking to the mechanic across the road I use and knows his stuff , he has always said stay away from dual mass flywheels good idea in theory not in practice. This is covering a broad spectrum of all makes of vehicles that use them and has changed at least 4 to my knowledge when i have been around the garage back to normal flywheels when that is feasible and we live in a very sparsley populated area of Wales so seems to be problamatic over a whole range of motors.
Milly
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Depends on how they are driven. I have a 406 and C5 both with original DMFs and clutches at 231k and 200k respectively.

Peter
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The 90bhp version of the 2.0L HDI engine does not have a dual mass flywheel. I don't think you can get any other 2.0 diesel in the Partner/Berlingo. There are two possible injection systems, Bosch and Siemens. The Siemens one does not use an in tank pump. Haven't heard of pressure regulator problems either. Not sure how they regulate the high pressure but it is possibly by flow control on the inlet to the HP pump.