2.0 PARTNER HDI SLOW TO TURN OVER

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carman

2.0 PARTNER HDI SLOW TO TURN OVER

Post by carman »

Hi, 2004 hdi partner is very slow to start first thing in the morning as the weather gets colder,had the battery checked and it,s ok ,once started, it will start every time ,I put a jump battery on it this morning and it started first time ,is there a problem ,with starters, earths ,battery drain?,,thank you for any replies

mick
Northern_Mike

Re: 2.0 PARTNER HDI SLOW TO TURN OVER

Post by Northern_Mike »

Starter motor. Mark my words. Get a new one, replace it, it'll last another 10 years.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

How was the battery tested? Unless its done under load it won't give you an accurate reading, if it starts with another battery across it that suggests that you battery has little capacity, if its more than about 5 years old the chances are it needs replacing.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:How was the battery tested? Unless its done under load it won't give you an accurate reading, if it starts with another battery across it that suggests that you battery has little capacity, if its more than about 5 years old the chances are it needs replacing.

Peter

You're right Peter, but I'll guarantee that if it's a 2.0 8v HDi, and it's slow to turn over when the weather gets cold, it will be the starter motor. It's happened to 3 cars I've owned, including the Berlingo (Same as the OP's Partner). At first I presumed it was the battery, and it made not a bit of difference. I spoke to Malc at Savoy about it, and he immediately said "Starter motor". He was right too (and even gave me a s/h starter FOC)..
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

I'd agree. They tend to go around the ten year mark.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
carman

Post by carman »

HI ,Halfords,local garage ,and I borrowed a drop tester to check the battery,all showed ok,thats what I can,t understand,when I put a jump on it starts first time, so dismissed the starter ,it started to struggle last year ,then as the weather got warmer it was ok ,then this week it started to act up again ,(not a tight sod but don,t want to waste money on starters and batteries if it won,t cure. i could get away with it but it,s my wifes car :evil:( you know what I mean )
Cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its obviously not giving enough amps, the drop tester only draws about 100 amps, the starter can draw 400 or more, try another battery on it for proof.

Mike

I don't disagree, I haven't had one fail on an Hdi yet but they did go on the XMs and I suspect its a similar starter. I found if you dismantle them and put some grease in the reduction gear it gives them a new lease of life.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:Its obviously not giving enough amps, the drop tester only draws about 100 amps, the starter can draw 400 or more, try another battery on it for proof.

Mike

I don't disagree, I haven't had one fail on an Hdi yet but they did go on the XMs and I suspect its a similar starter. I found if you dismantle them and put some grease in the reduction gear it gives them a new lease of life.

Peter
Thanks for the tip Peter, I still have the one I took off the Berlingo a couple of years ago, I can give that ago for the next time it happens.

Mike
carman

Post by carman »

Thanks for the replies,i was going to try and blast the starter with wd 40 and see what happens ,the car has only done about 66.000 miles ,which for a semi van is not a lot,going to sort a good batt ,and try it from there ,thinking of putting it in for a Yeti, any feedback?

Mick
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sell the partner to me, cheap..

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
carman

Post by carman »

The car or my wife? (getting sick of both at the moment)

Mick
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I don't want yet another wife, thanks all the same.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
carman

Post by carman »

Hi ,just a recap,just looked at the citroen site,quite a lot of people having problems with earth and negative leads with the same problem, put a new batt. on and it is much better ,but still seems as though it,s struggling,looked at some starters on EBAY ,some have 9 teeth some have 11,i would assume the 9 tooth would spin the engine over faster???, going to make two earth leads one for the body one for the engine and see if it,s any better
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think that the pinions would be different sizes so you would have to use the correct one. If its the same starter as the XM uses, I took the front off mine and greased the reduction gears, gave it a new lease of life.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usually if its a bad connection the battery lead with the bad connection will get hot after cranking the starter

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the OE part No. specific for your van from pug service box
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years