306 cooling fans and A/C

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orinoco74

306 cooling fans and A/C

Post by orinoco74 »

Well its all a bit of a mystery, I will give a list of symptoms and let me know what yall think...

Firstly my a/c doesn't work, the compressor clutch doesn't engage when the engine is on. The ONLY time it engages if on the first click of the key and the a/c button is lit. If I press the a/c button on the first click of the ignition the clutch engages, if I press the a/c button to turn it off, it disengages. If I turn the ignition any further or start the car, the a/c compressor clutch will not come on.

The STOP light is illuminated in the dash, but by itself, with no other lights, sometimes goes off, sometimes comes on.

On the first click of the ignition, the low speed fans come on (both of them), going any further causes the high speed fans to come on (and vibrate the entire car).

The low speed fans stay on for 5-10 mins after the car is turned off........or even if I only moved the key into accessory mode on the barrel and not even started the car.

Its a 2000 1.4 Peugeot 306 Meridian. Thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 306 cooling fans and A/C

Post by citronut »

first though came to me is ignition switch contacts are partially burned out
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
orinoco74

Post by orinoco74 »

solved all the issues at once. once I figured out why the car thought it ran hot on just turning it on from cold, the answer was simple. it thinks the car is hot so turns the fans on full, then stops the a/c from coming on. the temp sensors were to blame, both the brown connector and the green connector, I took the sensors out, they were covered in coolant crap. Cleaned them off but wasn't expecting much, low and behold when I turned on the car, the low speed fan came on but not the high speed. So pushing my luck I pushed the a/c button....and it clicked on.....result!!!!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

more than likely just dirty plug terminals then, as its unlikely the tip of the sensors could cause this issue IMO
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years