205 suspension variations?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Basil Zaharoff

205 suspension variations?

Post by Basil Zaharoff »

Please can someone explain to me the variations in suspension fitted to the 205 range.
I have an M-reg 205 mardi gras turbo diesel, which I aim to give some sensible modifications, without spending too much money. I don't want anything at a competitive standard, just some minor comfort, visual and performance enhancements.
I'm looking out for some cheap 2nd hand standard suspension from the higher spec range, but not sure how much they differ from my current factory fitted set up. Cant find no information on this really. My car appears to have the same sub frame and wishbones fitted to the gti range.
Not sure about the rear beam either. Do these considerably vary on gti models, or are they just tuned differently?
I'm watching some cti struts at the moment. How different will these be to my current ones?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 205 suspension variations?

Post by Peter.N. »

I think all the standard models are pretty well the same except that the diesels my have stiffer springs, I would imagine that the Gti is also basically the same but with stiffer springs and shocks. You need to find someone with a Haynes manual that should tell you. Personally I would leave it as it is, they are a nice car, but them I'm old.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-X ... 2c80bce867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are some secondhand ones on there.

Peter
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 205 suspension variations?

Post by Oldpug »

I agree with Peter.N why mess with it? they are a nice little car and are getting quite rare. As far as I can remember the suspension is the same as the 1.6GTi with drum brake rear axle?? so if it has got drums at the rear you could consider a complete 1.9GTi rear axle which has discs,(if you can find one??).The "1.6GTi" front suspension is a good set up so spend your money just making sure its in perfect condition.