406 door membrane problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

buzz

406 door membrane problem

Post by buzz »

After the heavy rain we have had recently, I found a big puddle of water on driver floor. This is a common fault (another one) the garage told me caused by a split in the door membrane (Pug 406) the water was comming out of the speaker.
They want £56 + 1 hour labour + vat.
Can I take door panel off and reseal it myself or is it another job for Pug dealer?
Thanks.
Buzz.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Take the panel off and have a look! Drainpipe sealer usually works, you can even make a new membrane from a fertiliser sack - it's only a sheet of thick plastic.
colinfor

Post by colinfor »

Yep I did that also, cut away the lower part of the existing membrane that was torn. Stuck a large piece of plastic to the door with masking tape. Used permanent marker and drew a 'cut' line on the plastic. Then progressively worked round the door, lifting the plastic, cutting to shape/size and inserting a continuous bead of white silicon (thats all I had) and then stretching the plastic back into position with the masking tape. Left the lot for a day to cure. (Just closed the door with no trim on) Then just to be sure I left the trim off and monitored for leaks for a few days.
See my post recently on 'Mobile Swimming Pool'.
Col
buzz

Post by buzz »

Thanks for advice lads, much appreciated.
Armed with this information I am going to give this job a go, once the f**kin rain has stopped.
Thanks.
Buzz.