Issues with new to me 206 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JonesyHDi

Issues with new to me 206 2.0 HDI

Post by JonesyHDi »

I've just bought a year 2000 (X) 206 2.0 HDI and spent my first weekend replacing the cambelt kit and water pump which was fun, not. It had done 113,000 miles on the original and the belt still looked excellent although the water pump was leaking badly.
I have since covered about 130 miles in it and have noticed that the cooling system does not pressurize, you can drive 30 miles and the hoses do not go solid at all. Strangely though, it does not appear to be using any coolant and there is no contamination in either the coolant or the oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated on this. The temperature gauge stays between about 75 and 80 degrees all the time.
Also, the steering has very odd characteristics at very slow speed and feels as though the 'diff' is not working correctly, it feels like the car is skidding on the inside or outside front wheel (difficult to tell which). At all other speeds the steering appears to be ok and I don't believe the front wheel alignment is out, or at least not by much. I did notice in the extensive history that it's had two new lower wishbones so I wonder if something strange is going on with the geometry.
Lastly for now, the fuel gauge only goes to about 3/4 full when the tank is full, presumably this is most likely the sender unit in the tank?
Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Issues with new to me 206 2.0 HDI

Post by Peter.N. »

Well you've got the one with the best engine anyway. The hoses should not go solid unless the head gasket is leaking but there should be some pressure in the system unless the pressure release valve in the filler cap has failed but if it drives OK and doesn't overheat I wouldn't worry about it.

Your steering problem could be alignment but if its out enough to do that it should be showing uneven tyre wear. The type of tyres and also the pressure if its to much can cause tramlining where the wheel tries to follow unevenness in the road.

The fuel level problem you can often cure by bending the arm on the level sensor in the tank.

Peter
JonesyHDi

Post by JonesyHDi »

Hi Peter, glad to see you are still posting on the forum, I'm sure you helped me when I had my 2.1 TD Xantia. I seem to remember you are a fan of that motor as was I?
Anyway, this
motor certainly seems to run ok and all the better for a decent service. I have actually ordered a new cap as I too thought it was worth trying.
The steering is very odd and I need to have a proper investigation, the tyres are slightly uneven in wear but it's wearing Continentals so no cheapo stuff!
The fuel gauge has settled down now and is reading half a tank after 230 miles, but thanks for the advice, I might whip it out and bend the arm on it.
Thanks again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Peter
on the coolant pressure, the hose's should not be pumped up solid, if they were it indicates air in the system either from it not being bled fully, or head gasket,

could the steering issue be the electric power steering cutting in and out for some reason ( like bad connection ??? )

as for the tank sender arnt these the cylinder type with a float running inside a tube????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm obviously getting out of touch :oops:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Peter.N. wrote:I'm obviously getting out of touch :oops:
#-o :roll: :-D :rofl2: :wink:

i usually put this type of thing down to senior moments
Regards, malcolm.

JonesyHDi

Post by JonesyHDi »

Hi Citronut, I won't worry too much about the cooling system then, I've now done 250 miles in it and it doesn't appear to have used any coolant.
The power steering on my 206 is hydraulic not electric (thank god), not sure they put electric on the 206, if so it was later.
The steering issue is very odd, although the handling on the car seems to be unaffected so I'm guessing the geometry is ok.
You may be correct on the fuel float, although I thought that these had the 'old style' rectangular float on the end of a bent wire!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will look up what type of sender you have
Regards, malcolm.