Another "206 cutting out" tale

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zutalors

Another "206 cutting out" tale

Post by Zutalors »

Yes folks, it's happened to me...my 2006 1.6HDI Sport started cutting out, without warning, with no discernible trend. It would be running fine, then everything would go, quite literally. The engine stopped, and all electrics too. Everything would come back after a few seconds. It could happen after five minutes or half an hour, and was very worrying, given that part of my daily commute involves a motorway.

So, off to the dealers, with wallet in hand :( We were having a week's holiday anyway, so my li'l Pug would be fixed in a few days; or so we thought. On our return, we found that the fault was one of those pesky intermittent ones that was darned hard to diagnose, but rest assured, the workshop was on the case, and bearing in mind the car's value (*gulp*) they wouldn't load the labour....anyway, a couple of days later, the service manager called to say that they had tracked it down to one of the fuse boards. Now, one of them is in the engine bay, and the other is behind the dashboard. The one in the engine bay, being cheaper and easier to access, was the first choice, so they changed it. So far so good, and it all behaved as normal, and the car was test driven fine. However, the service manager was not completely convinced, and sent it out for a longer (45 minute) trip. The car was fine, and as the driver came back into the yard, guess what - it packed up again :evil:

So, out with the cheap(ish) fuse board, and the more expensive (£265) one was ordered. More days pass, and I get the call to say she's all done. Off to the dealer's, and relieved of £650, we take the car away.....as far as the roundabout outside the dealership, when the dreaded "Click - Engine management warning - immobiliser - air bag inactive" comes up. Straight back in, the manager's face was a picture. Many apologies, and a courtesy car later, we head off back home. A couple of days pass, and he's on the phone again, GUARANTEEING that it is 100% fixed. No extra charge, it was the car being a little tinker. She had been connected up to the machine after the second fuse board was fitted, and automatically reconfigured; however, being French, she had gone into a secret huff, and certain parameters needed to be manually set, rather than to let the machine do it.

Anyhoo, a couple of thousand miles on, all is well, not a hint of trouble, and I do have to say hats off to the Peugeot dealer for sorting a tricky job, and certainly not charging the full labour amount for the job - at £90 per hour we were only talking about three hours in total, nothing like as long as it actually took them.
91 405 Diesel Estate + 93 205 Diesel
94 405 GTX TD Estate
98 406 2.1TD Estate + 96 Clio 1.9D
99 Clio 1.9D + Focus 1.8 Petrol (Why?!? It was cheap!)
06 206 Sport 1.6 HDI110 + 09 308 1.6 HDI
09 308 1.6HDI