Peugeot 306 clyinder head and heat matirx

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JR

Peugeot 306 clyinder head and heat matirx

Post by JR »

Hi,
I am in the process of having the cylinder head skimmed and the heater matrix replaced on my Peugeot 306, 1995, 1.8 auto.
The garage has quoted £297.00 labour for the heater matrix and £125.00 labour for the cylinder head skimming . I think these rates are fairly reasonable, but it is frustrating to see that the parts themselves are so cheap, compared to the labour costs.
Would anyone recommend having any other standard parts replaced, whilst the cylinder head is out of the engine and the dashboard completely removed? The car has covered 72k miles and has had heating problems for the last 1k miles, which the current work should fix.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers, JR
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I think the upper speedo cable replacement is a dashboard out jobby.
I am supprised that your cylinder head has lived to fight another day considering how long you have been running the engine with it overheating. The heater matrix has obviously started leaking due to the pressure in the cooling system.
I hope that the garage is paying for the work under warranty (thats if its the same garage) because if I remember correctly you have had the head gasket changed before, and therefore I would have expected them to have checked the head to see if it was warped the first time and caused you the trouble and your blown heater. But then again I could be way off.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JR</i>

Hi,
I am in the process of having the cylinder head skimmed and the heater matrix replaced on my Peugeot 306, 1995, 1.8 auto.
The garage has quoted £297.00 labour for the heater matrix and £125.00 labour for the cylinder head skimming . I think these rates are fairly reasonable, but it is frustrating to see that the parts themselves are so cheap, compared to the labour costs.
Would anyone recommend having any other standard parts replaced, whilst the cylinder head is out of the engine and the dashboard completely removed? The car has covered 72k miles and has had heating problems for the last 1k miles, which the current work should fix.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers, JR
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So no-one has come forward with advice!! I'd suggest only a few things deserve thinking about while these parts of the car are so thoroughly dismantled:
1. The cambelt and associated pulleys
2. The water pump
3. The accessory belt
4. Radiator and other coolant rubber hoses (given age of car)
5 Anything else that needs dashboard dismantling to get at - not sure what to be honest!
6. Coolant change - goes without saying I guess.
No doubt other things come to mind, but these are the ones that are already dismantled!
Good luck.
JohnW
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Dashboard bulbs, they always go, don't they !
I'd clean any dust out as well.