pug 406 TD (1998) alternator belt problems.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

buzz

pug 406 TD (1998) alternator belt problems.

Post by buzz »

I have pug 406 td ( a/c ). I had alternator belt changed 2 weeks ago,
along with cambelt change. Today I heard a strange screech and on inspection found the alternator belt badly frayed down one side. The
belt looked like it had not been replaced. Phoned garage, I went mental thinking they had not replaced belt ( all part numbers had been rubbed away ) but they insisted the belt ( a powertrain product by gates ) had been replaced and the problem seems to be the tensioners.
Would a faulty tensioner cause that much fraying after a couple of weeks ?
I also asked about tensioners and pullys being replaced when I had cambelt change ( another powertrain part ) and was told the manufacture did not recommend replacement even at 120,000 miles.
Is this true?
Any info welcome.
Thanks.
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hi.. the manufacturer may not recommend new pulleys and tensioners etc ( I dont know for sure Id have to check.. ) but its a fair old job and if you plan on keepng the car, coupled with the miles theyve already done - if it was me I would seriously consider it. Im referring of course to the timing belt items - as the damage done by failure can be major. The alternator belt tensioner is a lot easier to deal with and cheaper, if inconvenient, if it fails - but I would have thought they would have spun it just to check it for wear before they put everything back together. A faulty tensioner , or any other of the pulleys could cause what youve said, if it had enough play in it to send the belt of true.. it would need looking at properley. I dont see how the part numbers etc would have rubbed out in such a short time but I 'suppose' its possible.. the thing to do is really check the rest of the belt - youlle be able to see if it looks only 2 weeks old even allowing for the damage to it. Let us know how you go. mike
buzz

Post by buzz »

Hi ... Just had car checked by peugeot express fit, they confirmed the tensioner had seized which would cause that much fraying even after 2 weeks. They had to take the pug apart to prove it, which left me no option but to get the job done by them.
The parts ( tensioner roller, tensioner and drive belt ) came to £114 inc vat. The job took 2.5 hrs and they only charged me £76 inc vat for labour, which I thought was pretty good. They also offered me one of their finance cards which is interest free for 4 months, so I don't pay a penny till march.
Regarding the cambelt pullys and tensioner their exact words were
" they don't usually go... but on the second change I would seriously
consider it."
Are you psychic Mike?
Cheers
Buzz