Lucas- to Bosch pump again

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orakel
My Cars:

Lucas- to Bosch pump again

Post by orakel »

I have a 206 1.9D with a WJZ engine, which put a piston rod out through the block. Ouch!
As I am not a diesel-head I searched for another WJZ engine and found one in an old Berlingo. Not much car left but the engine was humming sweet.
Then whoops - the diesel pumps were different. The original one in the 206 is a Lucas (R8448B182C / DPCDWLP12) whereas the Berlingo one is a Bosch (0460494462). Trawling the internet I found that everyone prefer the Bosch pump. Maybe the Bosch pump makes the Berlingo engine sound nice?

So - I had to decide whether I should take the entire Lucas pump plus stiff cables and mount them on the Berlingo WJZ engine, which would make the 206 original again, OR if I must immobilise the immobiliser in the Bosch pump and make the 206 engine loom fit the Bosch hardware.
I decided to go for the Bosch!
Then i broke in to the solenoid, which was somewhat easier than expected. It's a question of unscrewing two "break-bolts" (engrish?)

Now I face a few questions:
As the Lucas pump has three connectors with 2-3 wires, the Bosch has only one wire now, to the solenoid. Some of the Lucas wires must go to the ECU (which the Berlingo did'nt have), while they will have a dead end when the Bosch takes over. Surely one of these wires must be the "ignition", which I can connect to the Bosch solenoid, right?
And what about the additional wires from the Lucas?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Lucas- to Bosch pump again

Post by Peter.N. »

Can't help you with the electrics but I think you will need to use the pipes from the Bosch pump because on the earlier XUD engines the fuel distribution pattern is different between the Lucas and Bosch.

Peter
orakel
My Cars:

Post by orakel »

Thanks Peter, but I don't think that it's an issue.
Both engines are WJZ's. The old one had the Lucas pump and the "new" one has the Bosch (allthough this one is older). I intend to install the new one and let it's Bosch pump and all remain on the engine. "Only thing" is that it is going to live with the existing 206-engine loom, which is for the Lucas WJZ. That's where I get a number of wires in spare. First I need to know which wires of about 8 is "ignition". - and the rest?

Would like to add pictures but i was not successful trying that. Meanwhile I can add links:
http://sankt-peterburg.baza.drom.ru/tnv ... 73606.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- which shows a Lucas pump with the mentioned 3 connectors.
- and the Bosch:
http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTMzNDk0NzU3 ... -Pinneberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- which shows 2 connectors. The black one has 3 wires but after de-immobilising, it is reduced to just one - for the solenoid.

B.t.w. The 206 is from 2000 and the Berlingo is from 1999
orakel
My Cars:

Post by orakel »

Allright then, found out myself after trawling the internet, which never really gave the correct answer. Meanwhile I got a bit of information from many places. Yesterday i put the engine in the bay again and hooked it up with the fundamentals.
I turned the "ignition" on (what do we call that in a diesel?) and measured a "high" in the uppermost connector of the Lucas wiring. I then connected this wire to the one from the mounted Bosch with direct access to the solenoid.
Finally I turned the key fully and - tadaaa - the engine started!!!
What a splendid day :-)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done! Intelligence and perseverance will overcome most bolshie equipment, and worry what remains.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!