406 Automatic gear fault and recommended ATF types

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bankole
My Cars:

406 Automatic gear fault and recommended ATF types

Post by Bankole »

I drive a Peugeot 406 automatic 1998 model. I observed that at some times while driving, the sport and snow lights come on and flashes simultaneously. I have read posts that the automatic gear oil needs to be changed when this occurs and the oil wear counter reset to zero.
Is there anyone who can confirm if this is the real solution?
Also, I read that the recommended ATF is Esso LT 71141.
Is it really the recommended ATF and is there any other ATF I can use? I am from Nigeria and I could not get the Esso LT 71141 here. Also considering that Nigeria is a hotter region compared to Europe, is it possible for me to make use of Mobil ATF 220 or Total Dextron II-D both of which are readily available here in Nigeria?
Can anyone help me out with a solution?

Thanks.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: 406 Automatic gear fault and recommended ATF types

Post by myglaren »

Hi and welcome to the forum Bankole.
If you have read through the forums you will have seen that there is a lot of debate concerning the lubricant for the automatic, supposedly sealed for life, gearboxes and it is generally accepted that only Esso LT 71141 is suitable - this is now Mobil LT 71141 as Esso have rebranded it.

It is reasonably certain that Dexron in any form is pretty much certain death for the gearbox.
While there may be a substitute as far as the forum is aware there is no confirmation of this.

Others more knowledgeable will certainly add more information but I would recommend trying to obtain the correct fluid as although expensive it is far less expensive than a replacement gearbox.
Bankole
My Cars:

Post by Bankole »

Thanks myglaren for your post. It is highly appreciated.

My problem is getting the Esso LT 71141 oil Mobil LT 71141 here in Nigeria. However, I will look for a way of getting the correct fluid.

Thanks once again.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hi, have you made contact with "Ikenna" who's on the Aussiefrogs forum and also the Nairaland forum? He is a perfectionist for looking after his Peugeots.
Bankole
My Cars:

Post by Bankole »

I recently changed my bad AL4 gearbox with a used one and filled it temporarily with a Dextron 3 while I get the Mobil LT 71141. The intention is to run it around for a very short time and do a flushing with Mobil LT 71141. However, I learnt flushing is delicate if not done properly and that doing about 3 quick succession of draining and refilling will be a safer method of filling the gearbox with Mobil LT 71141.
1. Is it better to do the quick succession of draining and refilling than actual flushing?
2. Will the Mobil LT 71141 be compatible and miscible with the Dextron 3 in the event that I have to do quick succession of draining and refilling?
3. What will be the possible colour of the drained oil when doing these partial draining and refilling especially when new Mobil LT 71141 mixes with an old ATF in the gearbox? I did one before and we had a silky - creamy colour when we drained the oil. I just want to know.
4. I do hear a bang from the gearbox when I need to move after coming to a stop especially when the engine is hot. I have never heard this sound in the morning or when the engine is still cool. Would could be responsible for this bang?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks and regards.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

In spite of popular rumours, putting the wrong fluid in will not cause your car to spontaneously flip onto its roof and catch alight.

It's not a good idea, as an incompatible fluid may not provide adequate lubrication especially as the oil thins with heat. My impression is that Dex III is under specification, not over - so it should not really be allowed to linger.

A harsh change is going to be something "sticking" - whether this is an accumulator piston, a transmission clutch or brake band you would need more diagnosis to pinpoint.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If it's an AL4 box, there are thousands of them running Dexron 11d and 111 fluid. DPO (Renault) boxes are the same as AL4 and they are not running LT Esso fluid.

If it is a 4hp 20........forget the above. That specs the LT esso. If I was in your situation and just could not get the Esso fluid, I would use a synthetic based one from an Independant American company.
It's your call, these are just my thoughts.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Bankole
My Cars:

Post by Bankole »

Thanks Addo and Lexi for your comments. They are highly appreciated.

Would a dextron 6 work well with the AL4 then?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I don't see why not personally. It supercedes dex111 and is to be used in it's place. It is synthetic based.
One caveat. Make sure you fill right up to high mark. It needs that as synthetic oils are slightly thinner right from the off, rather than the thicker Mineral Dex11d. Because synthetics are thin they can slop on corners and starve the pick up IF the box is low on oil. Some DPO box owners report this on roundabouts and the box needs another 500mL. That is after going from old type Dexron to the latest spec. I don't know if your Pug will be the same but worth bearing in mind.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Also, if there are Mobil agents they may carry LT71141.

Or Castrol - if it is sold, Transmax Z or J-spec or the high end Honda automatic fluid (priced like it is made of gold).

Did you speak to Ikenna?
Bankole
My Cars:

Post by Bankole »

Hi Addo. Yes I did speak with Ikenna and he helped to source for the Mobil LT 71141 ATF but he could not get any here in Nigeria.

I mentioned before now that I replaced my AL4 gearbox with a used one but I have been having challenges with it since then.

1. I have observed leakage from the gearbox and have changed the seal 2 times but the leakage has persisted. What else could cause this? Someone hinted that the torque converter might be having some clearance through which the ATF is leaking out. Could this be true?

2. I still have the sport and snow lights coming on when driving. I have drained and refill the ATF, zero oil wear counter, changed valve body at least 2 times but the problems have persisted. I have also changed the solenoid valves but the lights still comes on when driving. What could be the real problem? It is getting frustrating. What can I do?

Could the leakage be as a result of using dextron 2 or 3 instead of Mobil LT 71141? Also, could the snow and sport light coming on be as a result of the oil used? I am also sourcing out dextron-6 through a friend from the US. Please advice on what I can do to get out of this mystery.

Thanks.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It may be pressure that is causing seals to blow. Only a guess, but there may be blockage or swarf somewhere in system. Blocked breather maybe.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Bankole
My Cars:

Post by Bankole »

Thanks Lexi. What s the best way to sort this out? Any idea?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

There is a comprehensive manual on you gearbox in pdf form online. I would have a google and study of it for pointers.
I have had a brief look at it but no further.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

@lexi, normally one would include a link to the pdf.doc you are referring too mate....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting