ABS-ESP Bleeding issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shelleyamy

ABS-ESP Bleeding issue

Post by shelleyamy »

Posted this in the Peugeotforum, but haven't had any success yet.

Car is a 2004 307cc (van).

Replaced discs and pads all round, and checked over all sliders on the callipers.
Had to remove a couple of callipers to do the job right, and the fluid emptied.

Wasn't that worried about bleeding the ABS unit as i have just bought Lexia 3 kit from easy diagnostics. Sure enough, system wouldn't bleed the conventional way, so plugged PP2000 in. But I cannot get it to recognise the ABS/ESP unit. Under replacement parts, it lists “ABS 5.3 BOSCH” and “ABS8 BOSCH”. When quering the ECU’s, ABS 5.3 BOSCH returns “THE ECU HAS NOT REPLIED” and ABS8 BOSCH returns “PP2000 UNKNOWN REFERENCE, ECU BEING REFERENCED”.

It attempts to carry on with the bleeding sequence, after the above warnings, but stops at the first attempt, stating “no communication”. You can hear it running the pump, but then stops.
The system was fine, no braking or ABS/ESP issues before fluid change.
I have put through about 5 lts of fluid under pressure, but lots of bubbles, and no pedal at all.
I have emailed easy diagnostics helpline, and am waiting their reply.

Any ideas, or how to do it without PP2000?
Thanks, Mike
BX
My Cars:

Re: ABS-ESP Bleeding issue

Post by BX »

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a while. If you look at the abs unit is it actually a Bosch unit. Air in the abs unit usually results in a poor but functional pedal.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

How did you initialy bleed the brakes?

If you were pumping the pedal right down to the floor there is a good chance that you have damaged the master cylinder seals and they are now leaking internally hence no pedal.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
shelleyamy

Post by shelleyamy »

BX wrote:Did you try disconnecting the battery for a while. If you look at the abs unit is it actually a Bosch unit. Air in the abs unit usually results in a poor but functional pedal.
Brakes do work, and I've managed to get the ABS to kick in, following advice that this may start the bleeding process, but the pedal goes to the floor.

Will have a look in the light, but I think they are all Bosch units.

What can I expect from disconnecting the battery?
Thanks, mike
shelleyamy

Post by shelleyamy »

uncle buck wrote:How did you initialy bleed the brakes?

If you were pumping the pedal right down to the floor there is a good chance that you have damaged the master cylinder seals and they are now leaking internally hence no pedal.

Cheers.
Fraid the pedal was going to the floor. Would I still get the brakes to lock up, (pretty evenly) if I had damaged the seals?

What I realy need is someone local with another PP2000 to see if theirs can read the ABS/SRS ECU. Failing that, it's a trip to Peugeot.

Thanks, Mike
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Possibly although you'd have to pump the pedal a bit. All that is is by fully pressing the pedal the seals travel the full range ie over any corrosion inside the cylinder where they would not normally "reach" as you'd not get the pedal that far down normally.

Although this may sound like a silly idea I'd be tempted to try to gravity bleed it, ie just let it drip for a good time from each wheel starting at furthest away from master cylinder. There's little to lose apart from a couple of litres of fluid and some time. I'd ensure you got at least 1/2 litre from each corner too, so its going to take a while but at least you can more or less ignore it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
shelleyamy

Post by shelleyamy »

spider wrote:Possibly although you'd have to pump the pedal a bit. All that is is by fully pressing the pedal the seals travel the full range ie over any corrosion inside the cylinder where they would not normally "reach" as you'd not get the pedal that far down normally.

Although this may sound like a silly idea I'd be tempted to try to gravity bleed it, ie just let it drip for a good time from each wheel starting at furthest away from master cylinder. There's little to lose apart from a couple of litres of fluid and some time. I'd ensure you got at least 1/2 litre from each corner too, so its going to take a while but at least you can more or less ignore it.
I am going to try the gravity option a go on Monday. I'll let you know.
Thanks, Mike
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Try identifying the car as another type of 307.
shelleyamy

Re:

Post by shelleyamy »

addo wrote:Try identifying the car as another type of 307.
Do you mean a different generation, its a van-can, so try as can?
Mike
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

spider wrote:Possibly although you'd have to pump the pedal a bit. All that is is by fully pressing the pedal the seals travel the full range ie over any corrosion inside the cylinder where they would not normally "reach" as you'd not get the pedal that far down normally.
Exactly what I was thinking :wink:

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Generally speaking you wouldn't have to bleed the abs circuit solenoid valves,
less you ran out of fluid and had the ign on?
If purging it with diagnostics you may need all bleed nipples open and then close, before bleeding per normal.
If you suspect damaged brake M/C, carefully clamp ALL hoses and see if you have a pedal. Use rubber hose on your brake clamps.

Edit: just noticed you had let fluid empty.......naughty :lol: I always go to great length to stop plug brake pipes and clamp hoses to avoid that, keeping M/C topped up and sealed. It saves much bother bleeding.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Dave1987

Post by Dave1987 »

here is a good document with pictures
http://obdiifr.blog4u.pl/komentarze-734 ... -tool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Citroen using Diagbox
Pug using pp2000
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:Try identifying the car as another type of 307.

i second this suggestion,

if you either do not know the exact model, or you assume it is a certain model the DIS-LEXIA will not fully play ball,

you must also enter the correct rp No. once you have identified/entered the correct model,

as if any of this is not entered exactly the DIS-LEXIA will/might not be able to read/recognise all/some of the ECU's
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

I'm sure I answered this question for you on the Pug forum.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales