The dreaded comms unit.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

The dreaded comms unit.

Post by daviemck2006 »

The van's electrics are playing with me. Indicators, The right one works very intermittently,sometimes as it should, sometimes fast sometimes just front, or rear. In other words has a mind of it's own. Left indicator usually works properly. A few days ago all indicators stopped worked all together, Then today repaired themselves with no help. Whilst indicators were not working hazards did work. Wipers, on intermittent position has mind of it's own, on slow wipe usually work ok but occasionally stop, a flick of the washer starts them again, on fast wipe, usually ok but occasionally mind of its own. I am thinking this is the comms 2000 unit going kaput. Is this correct? How do you change it? is it steering wheel off then it comes off that way? How do you get steering wheel off, or rather airbag off to get wheel off? It's sometimes slow starting from cold, could the battery be away to go toes up and slightly less battery power playing havoc with comms? I have no clue about electric stuff, give me a Hammer and spanners, not wee screwdrivers and volt meters. What do I need to do. Not too worried at the moment, it's a white van, when do they use indicators anyway :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: The dreaded comms unit.

Post by Lighty »

The battery and the indicator issues will be unrelated I expect, prob worth getting a battery check any way as the van will not work if it dies, so priority no1 I guess.
If you are no good with electrics, it may be best to get someone to change the comms for you, as they are fiddly, and the air bag and steering wheel are not the easiest things to remove.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

A poor battery can have strange results and it sounds as you'll need one anyway, so I would change that first.

If the lights/wipers still have a mind of their own then it would point to the comms in my experience. It is reasonably easy to replace, took me about 30 minutes. However, make sure you disconnect the batter for 30 minutes before attempting to remove the airbag.

I'm not sure which wheel your van has but usually there is either a spring loaded clip inside the wheel which you get to from one or two holes in the back of the wheel. Or there are screws. With the airbag unit released be careful to disconnect the wires and place the unit somewhere safe. Next, undo the wheel nut (ideally get someone to hold the wheel so you are not forcing the steering lock) and with the nut well slack give the wheel a good tug ... do this with the nut removed and you'll probably have a black eye and a few torn off wires :shock:

With the wheel off, it should be simple to see how the comms comes out. Usually top and bottom steering plastics off and I think something like four screws hold it in.

Tricky/risky bit is the airbag.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Van is being used more, the cars insurance is out and it's going on sorn until 1st March and is starting better from cold. It has a cobra aftermarket alarm which probably drains the battery a bit, and lo and behold indicators and wipers behaving just now. So it aint broke so I'm not going to investigate. I think if electrics start playing up 1st thing will be battery. The other thing that was wrong got fixed today. The power steering return pipe had a pin hole in it where there is a clip on the chassis leg holding it away from all the belts, alternator etc. I just cut the aluminum pipe and the rubber pipe and joined them with a jubilee clip. Seems to be sealed ok. I had to remove the drivers front wheel for access, it's the first time I have had that wheel off. One of the studs was loose. And I mean loose. It's one of the worst bodges I have ever seen. Some monkey must have put studs in with an air gun, in the process stripped the threads on the hub. Their remedy? A bit of cable tie into the hole on the hub just enough to hold the stud in, not the wheel on. IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a longer stud in my box which has a hold now. The other 4 studs on that wheel are ok. The wheel would have not came off, but speak about bad workmanship :twisted:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2