407 Gearbox - loss of 4th gear.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TwinCamMan
New User

407 Gearbox - loss of 4th gear.

Post by TwinCamMan »

I've just lost the use of 4th gear on a 2008 407 2.0 HDi (136), it is the 6 speed box - well at least it was! The car has 145,000 miles. In the last week, 4th was very hard to select and 1st and 6th were a bit notchy. After replacing the cable assembly (gearstick to box) it was smoother going into all gears but wont go into 4th anymore, 1st and 6th aren't perfect but aren't notchy anymore. Has anyone encountered the likes of this before? It's the same whether I have the car running or am trying to select the gears with the engine off - 4th will not select.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 407 Gearbox - loss of 4th gear.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have only lost 4th completely since you replaced the cables I would suggest that something is amiss with them, try disconnecting the cable from the box and see if you can engage 4th gear.

Peter
rob_s
New User

Post by rob_s »

poss just a cable not quite seated correctly, had a simmilar issue after doing some on the NEMO workhorse couldn't get 3rd about a week after doing the selector cable

cable had popped off slighly where i had not quite got it right

re seated properly all fine for 20k since :)
TwinCamMan
New User

Post by TwinCamMan »

Disconnected the cables and manually selected the gears. I can select all of them except fourth. It's definitely the box. On occasion while driving it will go into fourth but more often than not it won't.