407 2.0Hdi 136 2005

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

407 2.0Hdi 136 2005

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi All, just ventured onto the Peugeot side of FCF as I've got my eye on the car as per title (an estate). What I'm wondering about is the dpf/fap. Is it easy to remove (physically and electronically)? I've done this on 2002 2.2 C5's and it's pretty straightforward- bash it out the exhaust and Galletto/Ecusafe the ECU, job done. Any pitfalls on the later model Peugeots at all? (I imagine same would apply to a 2005 ish C5 with the same engine too)
Thanks
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: 407 2.0Hdi 136 2005

Post by Lighty »

Hi , this is certainly not like a C5 on the DPF front, lots of little issues with the 407, still a great car, but can have some horrors.
Most ecus are an SID 803, and this cannot be done with ECU safe, in fact we can't do,it with Alien tec, we have to send the ECU away and get it fixed on a bdm tool.
Look out for worn bottom swivels on the suspension, and most importantly ensure that the heater goes from hot - cold on both sides of the car.
If it doesn't it's a £600 fix involving complete dash removal.
Hope I havnt put you off, these cars are very cheap,to buy for these reasons and quite a few others.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

You might want to look for the X-LINE or ZENITH 407s as they don't have the DPF on them as standard.

You get a lot of car for your money with the 407, and lots of things to go wrong. The biggest problem is the 20,000 mile oil change interval. Its too long. Most 407 owners do it half that. Other than that, the heater flap problem can happen, but there's a guy who just fixes those for about £200.

And its crucially important that the correct oil is used otherwise the turbo oil feed pipe will gum up and ruin the turbo. But most problems usually happen on the 110bhp 1.6 engined models. The bigger ones seem more reliable.

If there's little history and any evidence of a turbo change, walk away. There's a brilliant report on a Pug forum where a garage dismantled a 407 engine that was eating turbos because it was given the wrong oil on every service. Once it was opened up you could see why.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks chaps, I'm glad that I posted. Really appreciate the advice.
I did have a look at an X-Line, a saloon (really want an estate) but it was an auto - I'd much rather have the 6speed manual. I've been advised against the 1.6 too, so I'll stick to looking at 2.0 manuals. Thanks again!
Looks like I'll need some quotes for DPF removal, maybe go for a mild remap too. Mind you, that's only if I get any problems...
The first estate I tried had no central display and the heater fan sound like a hovercraft on full tilt.
I tested an estate today (in 'S' trim), all seemed fine until I noticed a booming sound , I think from the rear, at about 35mph regardless of gear it seems. Exhaust not blowing (as far as I could tell). Maybe a rear wheel bearing? It had just passed it's MOT at a supposedly thorough garage and nothing noted. If it is a bearing I'd be happy to take a punt and fix it /them myself, price would reflect that. If not a bearing any thoughts on the source?
PS - Any easy way to check for the worn bottom swivels without jacking the car up?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Gibbo_Wirral wrote:You might want to look for the X-LINE or ZENITH 407s as they don't have the DPF on them as standard.

You get a lot of car for your money with the 407, and lots of things to go wrong. The biggest problem is the 20,000 mile oil change interval. Its too long. Most 407 owners do it half that. Other than that, the heater flap problem can happen, but there's a guy who just fixes those for about £200.

And its crucially important that the correct oil is used otherwise the turbo oil feed pipe will gum up and ruin the turbo. But most problems usually happen on the 110bhp 1.6 engined models. The bigger ones seem more reliable.

If there's little history and any evidence of a turbo change, walk away. There's a brilliant report on a Pug forum where a garage dismantled a 407 engine that was eating turbos because it was given the wrong oil on every service. Once it was opened up you could see why.
I cannot see how the flaps can be fixed properly for £200, the parts cost £80 and it takes most of a day to do it, the old flaps smash to bits, so can't be repaired. He must work for very little per hour.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Apparently there's more than one way to approach the repair, and different parts failing. I've only glanced at the megathread about it on the Pug forum.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Re models without dpf - I imagine that they don't have the intake electrovalves and bypass hosing that dpf models need (to bypass the intercooler when doing a cleaning cycle). If the dpf is removed then would it be worth fitting these (non-dpf hoses) to "clean up /simplify" the intake path?