AL4 Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

The Fixer

AL4 Gearbox

Post by The Fixer »

My 1998 406 would not select 1st or 2nd gear after I manually changed back through the gears to 2nd, managed to limp home and after taking the car to local Peugeot dealer but no fault or error codes found. Told that I should replace the box, $4800.00 + $1,000.00 to install. After my post in this forum, I received a reply from CitroJim who thought the problem could be the F3 Brake Band as it controls 1st and 2nd gears he also supplied me with very concise download for the AL4 Gearbox. Armed with this information I dropped the box out (hardest part of the job) and stripped the box down to the F3 Brake Band and found that one of the two brackets had broken off and was just laying there. While I had the box in pieces decided to change the filter and EVM and EVLU
( EVM = Main pressure Modulation Electrovalve - EVLU = Converter Pressure Modulation Electrovalve) to the Borg Warner Valves part No. 2574.16 the local Peugeot dealer wanted $245.00 EACH valve and $210.00 for the Brake Band total $ 700.00 after picking myself up I told him I would have a look on the internet and found found them plus Filter at Alibaba in China for $146.00 Australian. Will let you all know how I go when I have the 406 back on the road.