XU/HDI family motor + 4wd platform?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

Re: XU/HDI family motor + 4wd platform?

Post by nametooshort »

Thanks for all the replies. I see, I was hoping there would be common 4wd versions of something, kind of like VW did with the Golf and Passat, where 4wd versions are available from the factory. It seems with PugCit tho, only 3rd party conversions are available mostly and they are very rare. That sucks.

I am not looking to build a performance car, but just basically thinking along these lines:

The old-style Fiat Panda 4x4 is a really decent concept. A small hatch with a real 4wd system. While it's a smart idea, and the Panda is a really good design, and it IS incredibly useful and practical, the car itself is not as good as a 205.

The 205 is one of the best designs ever for that size category I think. As cars go, I think the 205 must be the peak in the evolution of practical cars of that category. It has just the right balance of weight, size, carrying capacity, interior space, outside dimensions, maintenance, reliability and economy. Older models are not as economical, newer models are too heavy and not as maintainable, but I think the 205 strikes a perfect balance.

So if somebody was to make a 4x4 205, not a high performance/rally version, but basically apply the fiat panda 4x4 concept to a 205, it would be a really really useful car, because it would have all the advantages of a 205 but also not get stuck in moderate conditions.

Ok, so if the 4x4 idea is out of the window, how about limited slip diffs at least? Did any of the FWD XU-bellhousing pattern models (which also includes DW and HDi and a bunch of other platforms I think?) have a limited-slip diff from the factory? Maybe the GTis or something?