Brake problem on expert

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Brake problem on expert

Post by daviemck2006 »

The brakes on the van are playing up a bit. They work well but the feel is not good, its like they are spongy but hard to press at the same time. then they stick on and i have to put foot under pedal and pull it up.I stopped on a hill and it just sat there with no brakes on. It's good for hill starts! The front discs and pads look new, rear drums are ancient and I've not had them off. I don't think there is anything wrong with that parts though. I think the problem lies in the brake linkages somewhere. This has the french thing of the servo being on the left side, where it should be on a LHD, with a linkage of some sort from our RHD pedals to work it. My old c5 could be braked from the left seat there was a bit on the floor you could push and the brake pedal went down with it. This suggested that the linkage is inside. Is it possible that this linkage could be seized up on my expert van? Is it inside or in engine bay? This is only a thought from me, I have no idea. Has anyone any ideas and could push me in the right direction? THanks in advance, Davie.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Brake problem on expert

Post by citronut »

the AX had remot brake pedal linkage as well. but theres was in the engine bay, and yes it did used to seize up
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Brake servo is famous for breaking after discs and pads fitted. Very important to undo the bleed nipples before squeezing the caliper pistons back.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Lighty wrote:Brake servo is famous for breaking after discs and pads fitted. Very important to undo the bleed nipples before squeezing the caliper pistons back.

squeeze me Sir Lighty
but shouldnt that be master cylinder?????? not servo :roll: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There is a little 'L' shaped linkage lever behind the brake servo that is famous for seizing on the Expert/Dispatch & the 807/C8. On the 807/C8 it is an engine out job to replace but there is a little bit more room on the Expert/ Dispatch to do it in place with a bit of fiddling about.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

That sounds like it could be the problem. I see a linkage of some sorts in there, but not really investigated it yet. I was thinking that if that is the prob then it was gonna be a bitch of a job, and beyond my capabilities. I've been putting it off to be honest, having recently moved house have been more interested in decorating and getting house in order. I'll have to look at it soon, it also is dripping oil and I haven't looked at that either.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it turns out to be seized linkage's please DO NOT use that W stuff to try and free it off, as this is not a lubricant but a moisture displace'nt,

but if possible to squirt a lubricant in there use the likes of Duck oil or Three in one aerosol, followed by spray grease,
Regards, malcolm.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thanks Malcolm, I'm not a great lover of that WD, stuff. I've not looked today, plan is to investigate tomorrow, I should have my son on the go, he has smaller hands than me, and I would need someone to work brake pedal to see the moving bits. My MOT man that failed Kerri's astra the other day reckoned that it will only need squirting and loosening up, but was not too sure where to find linkage. He thought I might have to go up from underneath. Time will tell.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2