Radiator leak help!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kh904
My Cars:

Radiator leak help!!!

Post by kh904 »

I had a MOT on my 406 coupe 2.0L (2000 X reg), and I noticed slight smoke coming from under the bonnet. It was coming from the radiator, the mechanic told me that the radiator had a leak. He told me that it would cost about £120 to repair (for a recon. radiator), does this sound resonable? How long will it take to do the job?
The MOT was done yesterday morning, so it was very very cold, so could the smoke just be due to condensation?
If it really is a leak, I may consider buying the radiator from GSF online, but does the 406 2.0 16V with Air Con. also fit into the coupe?
How much can I expect labour to cost?
Many thanks in advance.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

So if the radiator is leaking, you must have been having to top up the header tank fairly frequently? Although I don't have much to say in their favour, there are leak sealing treatments that can cope with small leaks.
kh904
My Cars:

Post by kh904 »

I've only topped up the radiator a little bit, but I rarely drive my car (it's on the driveway, and I don't drive to work).
Is it worth going for a reconditioned radiator or a brand new one?
I've only purchased the car a few months ago, so I don't mind paying just a little bit more for a new one, as I'm not selling the car any time soon.
Can anyone else help please?
kh904
My Cars:

Post by kh904 »

Just an update, if contacted gsf, and they told me that the 406 2.0L 16V radiator is also suitable for the coupe. It cost £87.50+VAT & delivery, but how much can I expect the labour to cost? How easy will the job be, is it something that I will be able to do? I've never done anything like this before, but I'm generally good at DIY?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can't speak for a Peugeot but on the Citroen BX it's a couple of hoses, 5 X 10mm bolts & lift it out......replacing is the opposite of removal, so say about half an hour all up. I can't see why a Pug would be all that different.
Very important though that a good anti-corrosive/ anti- freeze be used and the air bled from the system on completion.
Alan S
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

It could be worth asking a different garage to pressure test the system for you. Any leaks will be quickly found. However, if you are topping it up occasionally, then the water is going somewhere - check the rad cap and look for condensation on the clear drain tube next to it.
FWIW, I had an old Vauxhall that did this. It turned out to be water getting trapped in the Radiator fins whenever I parked facing uphill in the rain.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

On 406 radiators, some use conventional hose clips and others have bayonet connections. If you have the bayonet type, you'll need new sealing rings for them. Once the coolant is drained off and the hoses removed, there's a fan switch with cables attached. These should be disconnected. Along the top of the radiator there are two retaining clips. Release those, tilt back the radiator and lift it out. The fan switch must be removed from the old radiator and transferred to the new (or fit a new one - £9 from GSF). At the bottom of the rad are two mounting rubbers, which need to be refitted. Once the new radiator is in and the hoses reconnected, fill the system with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and soft water. (I use dehumidifier water) It's most important that all airlocks are removed from the system. Use the search facility to see how to do it.
kh904
My Cars:

Post by kh904 »

Thanks for the replys everyone, but any idea of the cost for labour for a garage to do it?