306 dturbo engine fitting in 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Carlo

306 dturbo engine fitting in 205

Post by Carlo »

Hi guys I've got a 205gtdt, lowered on avos alround, full gti leather and boost turned up. The 1.8 turbo has developed a crack in the cylinder head, so I bought a 306 dturbo motor to slot in (1998) question is do I have buy a 306 power steering pump and because of the top mount cooler will the bonnet shut or will I have to route it for a front mount?? Do these engines go in easy enough??
Piccy of my puggy

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 306 dturbo engine fitting in 205

Post by spider »

Welcome. :)

Can't see the badge, is it a D-Turbo or a XRDT ? , Was not aware of a GTDT model. They did make a Sceptre DT as well, these were 3 door. The GTi style body makes me think its not factory, never ever seen one with that from the factory.

Right I looked into this (see my signature!) a little bit.

You have to retain the double PAS cam pulley from the 205 if you have PAS already (most non PAS still ahve the pulley) the pump is driven from the far end of the cam on the DT 205 along with the vac pump.

The engine should physically fit. The top intercooler, rumours say it wont fit without the automatic bonnet (buldge) although as far as I know it will. The problem here is (go and look at the underneath of a 405 or 306 DT bonnet) there is no 'air path' so you will not really gain a lot by having one ontop as it won't get much air. Maybe consider doing something to the bonnet or a 406 front mount one may work.

I think the exhaust is different regarding the manifolds, I'm not 100% on clearance as I've heard problems with the downpipe. The easy solution in my head is to retain the 1.8DT 205 exhaust manifold and turbo if possible.

Sorry its a bit vague but going from fading memory.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Hi, tbh I think it is a dturbo. The guy I bought it off told Me it was a 'gtdt' the bumpers came as they were to my knowledge I just put the 1.9 rims on.

I had the thought the cooler wouldn't fit... I can locate a front mount easy enough I have a choice two coolers to opt for, as regards to downpipe I know a good fabricator who can make a exhaust. Yeah she has got pas pump so ill need a 306 on then.
spider

Post by spider »

From the 306 engine you may need to take the vac pump off and fit the double pulley (depends what you have on the 205 already) as I don't think you can fit the 306 type pump as there's little room at the front as it is.

I'm assuming the double pulley will fit what is left of the cam I'm not sure, you don't want to be fitting the 205 cam into the 306 unit as the bearings are part of the head in effect.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

While I think on, the 205TD units have the upright oil cooler, you'd need to retain this as there's not enough room (I think) for the 306 one given the closeness to the radiator.

You also need to keep the 205 fuel filter assembly as well as the "top hat" one from the 306 will fit but you'd not be able to use the oil cooler as the hoses are wrong (I looked into this a while back) so you'd need the 205 thermostat housing as well on the 306 unit.

The other part is the fuel heater on the 205 is at the back of the block and nasty. I removed mine and made one near the expansion tank (I'll dig some pics out if needed) you'd need to do this as well.
Andy.

Carlo

Post by Carlo »

thanks for your advise, ill start to crack on with it next week.

i'll post some pics up of the progress.

for the front mount will a cooler go in with a bit of persuasion or will I have to mount it outside the bumper or cut it..? I know there is little room for them but seen them done before.
spider

Post by spider »

You're welcome. I'm not really sure where it will fit. Try not to block too much radiator though as you don't want a cooking engine ;)

Will take a bit of thought to get the hoses to / from it but should not be too difficult.
Andy.

Carlo

Post by Carlo »

just a update.Engine's out with gearbox now. swapping over all ancillaries to go on the 1.9, decided to go down the power steering with using a 106 electric pump. as regards with intercooler I need a 405 inlet manifold as the 306 inlet has a square type fitment on the top exit to the cooler not normally a round fitment where you can adapt a samco to run the pipes down the engine. I cant not find a 405 inlet anywhere. this leaves me with 3 situations.
: leave the cooler at the top
: make a adaptor that runs square to round from the top on the inlet
: use the old 1.8 inlet and do something clever with it. ill post pics up if this comes of haha