dw8 aux belt tensioner replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

creon

dw8 aux belt tensioner replacement

Post by creon »

my belt has had a squeal for quite some time so the time has come to fix it before the mot work starts. im looking into ordering a tensioner and new belt and maybe leaving the idlers till after the summer if thats safe to do.

could someone please tell me what size spanner/allens i need for the job please.

it has a manual tensioner so am i right in thinking that all i have to do granted that things go smoothly is undo the nuts on the tensioner unwind the adjuster above the alternator take belt off replace tensioner fit belt and tension to 5mm play tighten nuts on tensioner a check tension on belt, this to me seems extremley straight forward, what are the complications and what could go wrong. am i ok to leave the idlers until further notice?

any pointers would be a great help as walking back and forth to the shed for 'alternative' tools could take all day!

the car is a 1999 dw8 peugeot 306 with no air con.

one more thing do i need locktite on anything
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: dw8 aux belt tensioner replacement

Post by spider »

Before build 08374 its about the same as the XUD one with A/C ie that annoying tensioner. Later ones are slightly different:

Two pics, early and late. I could not find a pic of it all "assembled" but these should hopefully help a little bit.

How to tell ? , see item (8) on the early pic, you should see that at the top pointing nearly upright its a threaded bolt.

Pics from models with PAS but without AC (all UK spec models had PAS at this year though)

EARLY

LATER

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
creon

Post by creon »

thanks for the diagram, mine is a phase 2 without a/c as in the first diagram.
have had a little play today after phoning unipart the guy could make no sense out of which tensioner fitted my car. was going to remove and take it to the shop but instead ive loosened the 6mm allen cap bolt and tensioned the belt with the 13mm nut above the alternator. its stopped squealing now it was so bad that i couldve pulled the belt off by hand.

it needs a new tensioner by the looks of it, am i right in thinking that its only one allen cap holding it on, release for adjustment and replacement. bit of a tight squeeze in there and i could not see anything else.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the usual thing that fails is the pivot bearing in No. 6 of the top drawing,

this is the auto tensioner,

either way it wants sorting ASAP as if any of it fails it can take out the cam belt
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

(Malcolm will know what I mean by this) its a shame that non A/C ones did not keep the MK1 306 setup with the simple "lollypop" type tensioner with only one belt (the K0 belt fitted them all!) which very rarely gave any trouble at all. If I had a 306 I'd look into this personally.

It could be retro fitted to later XUD's but it was a bit of a pain and new pas pipes might of been needed. Something tells me they changed the position of the alt / pas pump (moved pump up and alt down) to stop the spindle coming out the pas pump into the tyre (seen that only once though)

It won't fit a DW8 though as far as I'm aware plus the accessories are not in a suitable place.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG