407 HDI Saloon towbar wiring connections

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wil

407 HDI Saloon towbar wiring connections

Post by Wil »

I have fitted a new Witter towbar on our 2005 407 2.0 HDI Saloon including the 7 pin plug and wiring.
But I have not connected the wiring on to the rear lights and 7 way by pass relay as yet.
Does anyone know where I can connect a live feed for the 7 way relay in the boot? I think it could be connected to the no. 1 fuse in the boot fusebox. But I cannot find any way to connect to it, and I do not want to remove the fusebox I can avoid it. Last resort would be to run a cable to the battery.
Also does anyone know which is which of the coloured wires going into the car's rear light unit. The Haynes manual only states numbers for them of which you would need a microscope to see the dam numbers. But I could sort that out by using a volt meter if no one knows where they go.
Hoping someone has done this job before and could give me some advice regarding.
Thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 407 HDI Saloon towbar wiring connections

Post by citronut »

do you have a dedicated plug and play wiring loom like the one in the ebay link below,

http://tinyurl.com/dx3makr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also if you scroll down the ebay listing you can down load the fitting instructions before/without purchasing the woring kit
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Wil

Post by Wil »

Hello Citonut, I do not have the dedicated wiring cable only the 7 core cable and the 7 way by pass. The dedicated wiring is around £100 to buy.
Anyway an update.
I have completed the job and all is well. The 7 way by pass box comes with full instructions on where to connect the cables etc. I connected the main feed to the battery as per instructions. The most awkward job is running a cable from under the boot to the car battery without it being fouled by moving suspension parts and the exhaust of course.
I connecter the earth cable to to the o.s. luggage securing eye (10mm nut) as I had already fitted a seperate earth cable on the rear lights as they had the usual 407 saloon problem of a warning coming up that one of the lights was faulty but which was just an earth fault. I also sealed the lens seam of the rear o.s. lamp with clear silicone as they let in water.
It is important to fit the 7 way by pass box as otherwise you will get a beeb and a warning in the little screen that one or two of your lights are faulty.
Here are the cable colours on the rear light of the car for the next person to wire up their tow bar.
O.S. Fog lamp - Blue
O.S. Flasher - White
O.S. Tail light - Brown
O.S. Brake - Red
N.S. Flasher - Green
N.S. Tail light - Blue
I did not look for the reversing light cable as I was not fitting it and it goes on the 12s plug on the car. But the cables on the 407 rear lights are very easy to prod with a volt meter.
These cable colours are for a 2005 saloon so there is a possibility that other models may differ.
TOOC
New User

Post by TOOC »

Hi Will,
Where did you source the 7-way by-pass box? Would a set of 5 12v relays (park, brake, lh indicator and rh indicator) do the task without upsetting the Peugeot electrical control wiring system.
Tks,
Wil

Post by Wil »

I bought the by pass box from one of the many companies selling towbars on ebay.
All instructions are proveded. Don't bother with relays, just buy the bypass box.