Crunchy/notch gearbox despite new oil

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

Crunchy/notch gearbox despite new oil

Post by stu9 »

On an 01 306 2.0hdi

It only had just under a ltr in it for ages but I didn't know, it was only when I got new gearbox seals and draining the oil that's what came out. Now as said despite new stuff and the full amount, it's still crunchy and notchy, has the box maybe been damaged from driving for dam near 3 years like that.....I don't drive hard but daily use....just wondered
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Crunchy/notch gearbox despite new oil

Post by spider »

It could be but check its not dragging first. Can you engage gears (reverse especially) without noise at a standstill ?

If its hydraulic operated clutch (I think some of these if not most are) it may be worth bleeding that as well.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
stu9

Post by stu9 »

It's hard to get them, especially 1st and 2nd......there's also whine now but it's rev related, it's cable, and had a new one plus a clutch about 2 years ago and only did about 15ish 000mls. I just dont understand why after new oil and the right amount, why it's worse than it's ever been. Also got a decent'ish amout of free play, there's no slipping ect, just crunching/notchiness
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It could well be the box if its any consolation (different box) mines a bit crunchy despite new oil and plenty of clutch travel.

The only other thing I can think of if we rule out clutch drag in your case is perhaps the linkages if they are cable operated rather than the rod type although that seems a bit unlikely.

It *may* improve slightly on its own now its got sufficient oil in it may eventually settle.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I think you might be right...as in the box....the only thing that's changed since now having the right amout in it, it's now got a stg1 from whippy (from 90 to 110) about 5ish months ago, dont know if that's did it.

That's what the guy that fitted the seals said too ie it might settle, I'm doubtfull to be honest, and think you saying the box is gubbed is more likely, and maybe because of the stg1
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What oil did you put in it?
Richard W
stu9

Post by stu9 »

The right stuff from Pug
sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Post by sandybx »

Dear stu9,
Does your manual gearbox have an excessive layshaft bearing noise stu9 :?:
Vince,
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

If you mean a whine, then yes, but it's engine related ie revving not moving, but was told it could be the alt bearing
sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Post by sandybx »

Dear stu9,
What I meant was stu, if you have your car running at idle in neutral, and get inside your car and shut all the doors and the windows aswell, and you will need to make a mental note of the noise coming from gearbox. Then you will need to put your foot on the clutch pedal and press it to the floor.
On a new car, there will be just a very slight noise, coming from the bearings on the layshaft gear assembly. when you lift your clutch pedal up, and it will go again when you put the clutch pedal to the floor again.
On your car, there will be an excessive amount of rumbling/whinning noise from the layshaft gear assembly. when you lift your clutch pedal up, and it will go again when you put the clutch pedal to the floor again.
To do this check stu, your engine will need to be semi-warm ( warm enough to make sure that the engine is off-choke electronicaly )
Vince,
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Oh right that....nah bugger all....everything was renewed (inc bearing) about 15000mls ago