how do you bleed clutch on Pug 206 1.4 HDI 2004?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

how do you bleed clutch on Pug 206 1.4 HDI 2004?

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF,

Over the past couple of week I have "cherry picked" the slightly better weather days to get my gearbox off the car to have the "grinding" noise rectified, so off it went to Bradford, via courier to be repaired. :-D

Gearbox arrived back Friday of last week so I put it on the car but as i "failed" to stop the clutch piston extending fully with a tie wrap, it seemed a little notchy with clutch pedal, so i thought i would bleed it to fully ensure no trapped air. :x

Since my attempts to bleed the system, the clutch pedal has basically gone to the floor with no resistance, and regardless of how i try to bleed it the push rod wont move to operate the clutch, I have kept the fluid reservoir topped up and whilst the fluid tank is located in the most unfriendly corner of the car (fluid went everywhere) I cannot get any resistance on the clutch pedal. :(

PLEASE can someone help me with advice how your supposed to bleed this 1.4 hdi, I never had a problem with other cars bleeding them just this bleeding car! #-o
citronut
My Cars:

Re: how do you bleed clutch on Pug 206 1.4 HDI 2004?

Post by citronut »

i would try one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4062-Ee ... B001KTFIWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halfrauds list them for £19.99
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Okay managed to get pressure back onto pedal and slave cylinder by sheer genius! however still got bother! ended up rounding off the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder so need to get a replacement slave cylinder for a 1.4 hdi, got to track one down soon to prevent me from having to go to main stealer's! :roll:

The "reconditioned gearbox" has a crack in the casting near the speedometer drive which is possibly a courier transit related issue and on filling with 1.5 litre decided it wanted to leak so i'm guessing that's not such a good start then, having said that wiped the area down fully, i then used epoxy across the crack (made the presumption that gearboxes don't build up pressure like engines do!) but as its blanked off didnt worry initally.

New clutch on (Valeo original off which had been fine up to 143000 so got replacement Valeo) new clutch bolts, all torqued up, but the gearbox still feels notchy with engine off but with engine running, biting point is in a good position but difficult to put into any gear and still crunches when trying to get reverse. :shock:

I have had it suggested that the clutch is'nt disengaging/diaphram may be damaged so its gearbox off again anyway to double check this. :cry:

Could i ask if anyone has had anything similar to this before I waste another weekend taking the car apart again!!!! #-o
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cant you just find a new bleed nipple instead of replacing the complete culinder,

if you do need a new cylinder, send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. and i will get you the OE part No., which you can either do a gooogly search or aim it at your local factors

the clutch not disengaging fully is probably air in the circuit still,

also if you payed a lot of dosh for the gear box rebuild i would have sent it back on finding a cracked casing
Regards, malcolm.

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Whilst i could i cry about it, i need the car running sharpish, but safely!

took it for a run tonight its nothcy into second from either 1st or 3rd but 4 and 5th are pleasant whilst nursing the gearbox slowly and carefully, reverse is an entirely different story with loads of resistance and i dont want it to crunch into reverse, was easier to switch off then put it in and start up again!

Got back after a 3 mile run to find oil dripping over the exhaust again!

not going well currently so gearbox will have to come off anyway to determine extent of crack.

Cant find anyone flogging the bleed nipple one its own for the slave cylinder as this would help loads, I have seen a few complete cylinders on fleabay but sadly alot of them have the holes are located for straight on to the gearbox rather than side on for the 1.4hdi.

Last 8 digits of vin 44152277

thank you for the help
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. from peugeot dealer

Reference Description Quantity Price - VAT Price + VAT Total + VAT Selection
0000218216 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER 21.68 GBP 26.02 GBP 26.02 GBP

quite reasonable really,

what gear oil did you put in it,

how far away from you is the company that did the box as i would definitely take it back
Regards, malcolm.

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

That is reasonable, think i will call into Pug in Mansfield to get one!

Oil was EP75W80 from my local motor factors Davmac (top Place!) and got the Valeo clutch from there too!!

Also spoken to Gearbox repair man who said its not a issue sorting out the case replacement (suspect damage in transit but cant prove it) so on Saturday off it comes...again, but i will plug the drive shafts in and put 2 litres of oil in it and see the point of origin of oil leak.

That said the clutch will come off too to check for dimensions etc and possible faults causing the clutch to drag.

is it wrong to put a small amount of grease on the splines that the clutch pressure plates slides along as there are 2 schools of thought on this????
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would think the gears hanging up is either the clutch not fully disengaging down to air in the circuit still,
or something wrong with the box repair,

i always put just a faint trace of copper slip in the input shaft splines, as the clutch disc has git to be able to slide freely on its splines/up and down the input shaft, so it mist not be dry
Regards, malcolm.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I used to use a trace of Molyslip grease on the splines.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

A small sachet of grease is supplied in the clutch kit so the manufacturers seem to think it's a good idea.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I do remember bleeding one once, I think it was a 1.9D though, I can only remember as it was a right pain to do.

I think the conventional "press to the floor" and then tighten the nipple did not work, I may of gravity bled it initially. It was a long time ago though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Thank you for all the replies, could i ask to "gravity" bleed it, is it just a case of making a container and leak proof hose fixture, connect straight to the bleed nipple and crack it open and hang it off the open bonnet or at least higher than the level of the brake fluid tank (but ensure it has capacity to rise accordingly rather that wash the engine bay with brake fluid :-D ?

also did you manually operate the clutch slave cylinder to ensure air was purged from behind the piston :?: ?

my first attempt recently after putting the gearbox back on (crack repaired on gearbox now and checked NEW valeo clutch kit against old factory fitted valeo clutch kit all components looked the same, well minus the wear!!) i did note that as the new clutch friction plate and diaphram mechainsim went on, the "fingers" that the bearing presses again was nowhere near as protruding as the old worn mechanism (which i expected) but as the new plate wears is it correct to think that these "fingers" will also protrude further due to wear? or is it possible that even a new Valeo replacement clutch from a motors factors can just be dud?

Advice to bleed this bleeding car would be gratefully received 8-[
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

There's no particular trick to bleeding these. Perhaps you might be better off to buy a new cylinder. The fingers will be much more compressed with a new clutch. As it wears the fingers come out more. Even if the clutch kit was faulty you would still get pressure, so the problem lies in the hydraulic system. With the combined resevoir setup it's important to keep the resevoir topped right up as you are bleeding.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Sir Clutchman say

after bolting the pressure plate down with a new clutch the fingers should be almost flat,

the more a clutch wears down the fingers protrude further and further

this is normal
Regards, malcolm.

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Gravity bleed, the container needs to be lower than the tank / nipple. I've done it with brakes before I know. Just attach a tube and gently depress pedal until there are some signs of fluid then just leave it alone to 'drip' , if needed without the tube. Be warned it takes ages and ages.

You'll need to shut the flow off during pedal depression to get out any last air though.

Its not a recommended method but when I was on my own in the workshop ( a long story :( ) and not having a pressure bleeder to hand it did work just fine.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG