306 XUD Auxilliary belt tensioners

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

306 XUD Auxilliary belt tensioners

Post by smoker »

I've noticed a squeeking recently after a cold start, rlated to engine speed, and wonder if it is coming from one/both of the auxilliary belt tensioners. I replaced all of the cam belt bits this time last year but not the aux belt bits.

It looks like there are two parts - the upper spring loaded tensioner and a lower eccentric tensioner/roller. These two can be got for about £100. There is also a damper of sorts, but I'm not too sure how this fits in, and whether it needs replacing as a matter of routine. Can anyone advise? Anything else I need to know about this job?

Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 306 XUD Auxilliary belt tensioners

Post by spider »

What year and do you have Aircon ?

There does seem to be variation with these compared to the older shape (a simple tensioner, I actually looked into this although it won't fit new ones unless you're willing to buy new PAS pipes!)

Although the spring assembly, I seem to recall the bushes in it go (on 406's at least) and its not too dissimilar on a 306, but there are some with the spring without A/C fitted but I think that's quite rare.

From what I recall, I seem to think the spring is going to cause the problem first (its bushes) rather than the rollers. I do recall changing a fair few springs.

There's at least three types on the Series2 (97 onwards) , an auto tensioner, a manual tensioner without spring, a manual tensioner with spring and another eccentric roller (you have to turn it until the holes line up)

I've got some sample pics, this is a S2 306 XUD (DW8 is different) with AC if its any help...

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

The type above gives loads of trouble.The bearing (where the bolt is) in the tensioner roller (3) seizes up and the bushes in the tensioner spring/damper (5) fail.
Its a horrible awkward job to do. Normally when this happens it rattles like a bag of nails at idle and you can see the roller jumping up and down on the belt.
Is the noise the belt slipping? if not could be something else? was the water pump replaced with the cam belt job?
smoker

Post by smoker »

Thanks - should have mentioned that it is a '98 XUD non turbo with PAS and A/C (the A/C doesn't work, but is fitted).

I changed the w/pump when I did the cam belt and rollers 12 months ago. I'm pretty sure the belt isn't slipping - it's in good condition and tight, and the noise occurs even with little load on the system. It could be something else (alternator bearings, A/C bearings) I suppose but am thinking the aux belt bits are probably the right place to start.

It does look horribly like the diagram posted above - can you be clearer what makes it such a horrible job to do?

Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
spider

Post by spider »

Its just access in getting to it. I seem to remember using a magnetic telescopic tool and some tape to hold the bolt initially so it did not fall out while being assembed.

The needle (I think) bearing in #3 can go and the bush in #5 although they can make the belt drop off or jump about as Oldpug has said.

I think the main concern is just access as its a bit of a squeeze although I'd only done them on 406's so there might be a bit more room on a 306 (maybe)
Andy.

smoker

Post by smoker »

Finally got around to doing this job. Around £150 in parts. The problem seemed to be the needle bearings in item 3 above - o rings failed and grease completely dired out leaving the bearings to score into the shaft and wear themselves flat (well ideltified by spider :wink: ). Definately quieter now, but a right !"£$%^ of a job to do.

Guess they're the roiginals, so probably never again...

Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
creon

Post by creon »

im onto this on my car this week hopefully, my belt is flapping about and only getting worse so without just tensioning ill get a new tensioner first and maybe some idlers further ahead. mine is the dw8 with no air con and manual tensioner the job seems ok but even before ive started it seems like the hardest bit is sourcing the correct parts, so many variants. where did you get your tensioner a idler from?
ive wanted to source from online to get quality parts at reasonable price without going down to the local uni part.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I`ve always got them from either Euro or GSF,they stock all types.
spider

Post by spider »

creon wrote:im onto this on my car this week hopefully, my belt is flapping about and only getting worse so without just tensioning ill get a new tensioner first and maybe some idlers further ahead. mine is the dw8 with no air con and manual tensioner the job seems ok but even before ive started it seems like the hardest bit is sourcing the correct parts, so many variants. where did you get your tensioner a idler from?
ive wanted to source from online to get quality parts at reasonable price without going down to the local uni part.
DW8 different I think. I see you said no A/C, is it a 306 I assume ? Let me know and I find a suitable pic.

Oh i see you have a new topic about it, I'll post in that.
Andy.