P 206 1.4hdi noise under the dashboard

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sahtlinurk

P 206 1.4hdi noise under the dashboard

Post by sahtlinurk »

Hi all,

so when the car is idling the niose appears, sounds like somethig vibrating or rotating. as soon i touch the trhottle something makes a
little glunking noise and the sound disappears, then comes again till i touch the trhottle. keeping the revs bit higher the sound still appears but goes off when i start normal driving. cant hear it outside or under the bonnet. it looks as the noise comes behind the clock/red warning lights button area.

cheers,
Lauri
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: P 206 1.4hdi noise under the dashboard

Post by spider »

Difficult to say without hearing it.

It could just be a vibration from plastic to plastic contact behind the dash somewhere (cheap to fix, not so easy to actually get to and diagnose)

I don't think its a stepper motor on the tachometer doing it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
sahtlinurk

Post by sahtlinurk »

i was just reading up and found the problem. i bought the car a few days ago and the chap said he had run out of diesel. just before i got there. so the noise is coming from the pump. the cure was to fill the tank at least half way and drive. i drove from Birmingham to Oxford but the noise is still there. now another thing i noticed the second morning already is that when i turn the key it starts immediately, then it dies on me after 5 seconds of running, then starts after 15 sec of cranking, after that ok. what can it be and can these two problems be related?

cheers,

Lauri
spider

Post by spider »

The only immediate thing I can think of for that (apart from a dying sensor) is air in the fuel.

Look at the clear plastic piece of fuel pipe near the primer 'bulb' to see if you can see any air bubbles in it.
Andy.

sahtlinurk

Post by sahtlinurk »

there are bubles in there. i pumped it hard and the fuel filter made some bubbling noises. the noise under dash did dissappeare for some time but then returned.
spider

Post by spider »

Favourite place to have air come into the fuel on the 1.4 are the fuel pipes across the top of the airbox / engine.

If you take the airbox out you'll see the piping there. I think its quite expensive to buy a new 'section' from the dealer though, I've not had one do it to me so not really sure how practical a repair can be, I seem to think early models sometimes rubbed the pipe through though hence it taking air in well before it started to cause other problems.

If you leave it, it will get worse eventually it won't start very well (or at all) at all after its been stood overnight.
Andy.

sahtlinurk

Post by sahtlinurk »

will have a look. thanks.