diesel pump

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

diesel pump

Post by john alexander »

Hi ,my wifes 307sw 1.6 05 plate has cut out a couple of times and now wont start . It seems that the pump in the tank has packed in . I've tried suppling power to pin 3 on the pump to no avail . Have I missed somthing ? Can the pump be repaired easily or is it a replacement only part . thanks in advance. John.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: diesel pump

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't think the pumps are repairable, it will have to be a replacement I'm afraid, have a look on ebay.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP-MOD ... 3a7cea6da0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Does it definitely have a low pressure fuel pump in the tank ? They are only fitted to some injection systems. Is there a hand primer under the engine cover ?
The tank sender unit on models with & without an in tank fuel pump look almost identical, there is also a power supply to it even if it doesn't have one which can quite often lead to misdiagnosis. If a fuel pump is fitted to the system that doesn't have one it normally bursts the hand primer after a few days.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Just to confirm Wheeler's note about the wiring being sometimes present at the sender area, I've noticed this on a few PSA cars (even my 02 106!) actually they sometimes do have the wiring present. I guess one piece of loom for all models saves costs.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi , Quick update . The pump in the tank is not there , so back to the drawing board, Yes it does have a primer pump but it does'nt make any difference how long you squeeze it it does'nt firm up ( cheap joke here). Any more ideas please .
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Either the pump bulb may be leaking or the non-return valve stuck open.
New pump bulbs are available quite cheaply from ships chandlers and sporting boat outlets as they are a common item on boats.

Ebay may be a good alternative too.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Thanks for that Steve ,where is the non return valve and how does the diesel get from the tank to the injector pump . Cheers.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Well, it's a long time since I had a car with a manual primer on it but as far as I know the non return valve is incorporated into the bulb.

The bulb is the pump that draws fuel from the tank to the injector pump. Once air is eliminated from the fuel system the injector pump draws the fuel from the tank.
HDis (generally) don't have a manual primer but have the in-tank lift pump instead. IIRC HDi 90s have a manual primer.

It is possible that there is air entering the system from another source - cracked leak off pipes are a common one. In this case tough the manual primer will draw fuel from the tank sufficiently to prime the system and get it started, after which it will be OK until it is stopped for a while - e.g overnight when the fuel will drain back into the tank as air enters the system.

As yours never firms up then this seems less likely and a defective pump would show the symptoms you are experiencing.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Just an idea , how can I check the imobiliser is working correctly ..?
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi , car sorted . I've got poor grip in my hands and could'nt squeeze the primer bulb hard enough. My son managed it but it took ages to get the diesel through . Thanks for the advice . John.