106 5 Door Rear Latch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

106 5 Door Rear Latch

Post by spider »

Anyone changed the lock mechanism in the rear door ?

Done plenty of front ones (actually repaired one the other day) but never a rear one. Also discovered a 3door Saxo one does *not* fit the 5door 106 fronts (!) due to the Saxo having no [ shaped bar to operate the lock barrel arm. :lol: , I think to be fair a 5d Saxo one would fit and this is not a 106 vs Saxo compatibility thing as they are the same car really as we know.

Anyway to the problem / concern: Its the rear latch at fault for sure as its lazy and despite lubrication a spring must be broken internally. It feels like its bouncing on the door seal but its not (pulled seal out to be 100% sure) and the latch pin is aligned and far enough out, can duplicate the fault with a screwdriver acting as the latch when the door is open so there's no doubt the problem is the latch.

Upon removing the trim and partially the sealing sheet for a look, it seems very difficult to get access to it, by the looks of it I may have to drill the window regulator rivets out to just move it aside to get a hand in, as the other access hole does not provide enough room (I managed to squeeze a hand in the inner door handle hole and I've got small hands!) plus there appears to be a clip on the guide channel in the middle of the door holding a link rod on. I've already put it back together now though as its going cold out there.

I think I might have to drill (sigh, more rivets) the exterior handle off too as I cannot see a method of unlatching that from the mechanism easily, more importantly putting it back after. :D

Access it very fiddly, the front was annoying to put back together a bit too, mainly to try to keep it all together and feed it in. The pivot on the rear door for the button is a bit annoying too, although easily sorted with some arm contortions, I think the window reg must have to be moved a bit for access if nothing else.

Any thoughts please ? :)

EDIT... BOL suggests handle drilled off as suspected, although I think the window reg may have to come out too not sure, just swing it a bit on its cables to get an arm in if nothing else to get the clips out.

306 and 205 (especially) seem exceptionally easy compared to access on the later 106s...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Re: 106 5 Door Rear Latch

Post by spider »

Had another look although its too wet / cold outside to play.

The handle will *have* to come off ( drill out two rivets, ideally without slipping down the door :D ) to release the latch, at least as far as I can see its a [ shape on the latch so its being held in by it and it appears to cover quite hole relatively too.

That may provide enough room to wiggle the lock out although the clips holding the bar to the button I cannot get to all of them, the one on the guide channel in the middle of the door especially, hence me suggesting drilling the rivets out of the regulator unit to just push it out the way.

I also note the rivet centre pin is still present in the regulator rivets, someone being lazy at the factory no doubt.

Shame its on the road parking as I can't leave it 'in bits' otherwise I'd of whipped the handle off. Then again I guess I could tape over said aperture temporarily...

Not way as easy as the 205, 206 even. Grrr :( :D
Andy.

spider

Re: 106 5 Door Rear Latch

Post by spider »

OK sorted it.

Right, the regulator does not need to move as long as you're willing to create an extra joint in your arm ;)

The handle, well I removed the rivets but it would not move, after much cursing and bending I got the old mechanism out. Wrestling the actuator off in situ helped actually.

I could not really see what was holding the handle on with no rivets, best guess its got an 'inside' and 'outside part that the rivets hold together although there's nowhere to see its mainly by feel on the rear door. I can see why some cut a small hole in the inner panel though (I did not) I'll not lie though I thought about it. Its a mystery why it did not come off though.

I managed to get the new one in but had to fit a rod 'blind' which was difficult. Getting it past the handle was not too bad as it was semi loose, so at least there was a few mm extra movement to get it past the handles 'arm'. The interior handle rod has to go on first and its clip is not a 'lock' one, a spare lock one I had would not fit due to the shaping of the rod itself. One of the clips is on the back of the channel guide too which was difficult (again working blind) to get off as I could not see which way to open the clip.

The plastic pin / crank on the lock button is a bit of a fiddle too although once you've developed said extra joint in your arm you can reach it to put the pin back.

The air was blue for a bit :oops: , anyway after an hour it was all back together and working properly now. :) , I found a 306 one a lot easier to do from what I remember as well.

Compared to a front door, its very difficult indeed. At least I can confirm the Saxo one is the same as that's what I fitted. I also found the other day the 3door front ones will not fit the front doors on a 5door due to the difference in the handle mech although 5door parts are interchangeable between 106 and Saxo as expected really anyway.
Andy.