Peugeot Partner and probably Citroen Berlingo battery issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Peugeot Partner and probably Citroen Berlingo battery issue

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I drive a 59reg Partner company van. Today I visited a private client to collect an item. While I was there she mentioned her car battery had gone flat (perfectly good reasons, interior lights on overnight). As she had jump leads, but only one vehicle (her husband was out), I offered to help jump start her car. I popped open the bonnets, and connected the black cable between the terminals under the black battery covers of both vehicles, and then connected the red cable between the terminals under the red battery covers of both vehicles, and then waited.

After 10 minutes we tried to start her car. Not only would it not start, but all of her dashboard light failed to come on. I wondered what I had done wrong, so I checked the leads. On her car (a Honda CRV) I had got them connected correctly (red being positive, black being negative). I then checked my van, and was horrified to find that on my van the positive terminal was under the BLACK cover, and the negative was under the RED cover (which also had a circuit board and fuses). I very quickly disconnected the cables, and swapped them over. Fortunately it would appear no damage was caused.

I know that people would suggest that I should have checked the terminals more carefully, and I would not disagree with this. However, who could say that they would not have made the same mistake by believing that RED meant positive and BLACK meant negative. The black cover had no markings on it, but the red one had both the Peugeot and Citroen logos.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Peugeot Partner and probably Citroen Berlingo battery is

Post by myglaren »

As this subject is also posted in the Citroen forum and has already received some replies could you please put your comments there to avoid any confusion.

Twin thread here.

Locking this thread to facilitate that.