Hi there and advice re 205 gti 1.6

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stepto1
My Cars:

Hi there and advice re 205 gti 1.6

Post by Stepto1 »

Hi there, my name is Steve and I'm normaly found posting on the citroen page as I'm currently running an old Xantia.

However, a mate at work has offered me his 205 gti 1.6 at what I consider a reasonable price.....

It's a '92 with 170k on the clock. It's Miami Blue with a full sunroof and leather front seats. It looks tidy and hasn't been messed around with (except for a naff aerial, gear knob and gti badge on the grill).

I've not driven it yet but will be doing next week.

He wants £800 for it with 12 months MOT (advisory for balljoint) and six months tax.

What do you think?

Steve.
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Hi there and advice re 205 gti 1.6

Post by spider »

Price seems good. Check for corrosion (around rear axle / end of sill area but generally all over) they don't tend to rot too much.

Check for crash damage and no odd noises from rear axle.

Later models not quite as desirable if they are cat equipped. Some very late one appear to have AC as well.

Miami Blue is a very nice colour though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Beam is an easy fix, new shafts and bearings are common as muck. Assume every flex hose in the brakes needs changing. Most get a stress crack per side in the seam sealer along their roof gutter area, behind the B pillar. You may well find the brakes rate very poorly compared to your Xantia experiences. A lot of the GTis have been tinkered up with 1.9 hub assemblies, 309 lower wishbones and driveshafts.

I don't really like the 205s; they change ends readily and are not overly safe in a crash. You can have a lot more fun with an £800 luxobarge IMO. Or pedal a series 2 Mi16 and see how you like it.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Thanks for that Spider. Not had chance to have a proper look underneath but will do next week.

I've heard it running before and it has a bad missfire at low rpm that seems to clear when revved. Guessing this is plugs and leads.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It could also be loss of compression (wet lined alloy block; fun fun fun), or worn tracking in the airflow meter. They're holding prices now largely based on a rose-tinted view of when the cars were younger and less worrisome.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

I did consider a 'luxobarge' Addo and as I do quite a bit of motorway driving it would make sense, but, after the Xantia I crave the simple life. I'm looking forward to wind down window and manual everything.

Also, the car I used to have and miss the most was a scruffy mk2 vw scirocco. It was simple and basic with only 110 bhp but it seemed to go like stink!

I've had a 106 and 306 (both diesels) and I loved how simple they were to service and look after. Also I remember that they both drove lovely.

I figure at £800 the gti can't really go down much in value and spares seem cheap.

Steve.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote: They're holding prices now largely based on a rose-tinted view of when the cars were younger and less worrisome.
I'm so glad to hear someone else thinks like me on this subject!