Is my air con working?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

No-One

Is my air con working?

Post by No-One »

I bought a 1999 306 LX yesterday. As I understand, when I press the A/C button, I should be able to hear a change in engine revs. However, I don't hear a thing and the rev counter stays put. Is it just not engaging because it's cold outside? I need to check that it's working properly before the warranty runs out in 3 months time.
Paul.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi
A couple of things to try. When you switch the air con on, do you hear a relay-type click from under the bonnet as the elctromagnetic clutch engages on the aircon pump?
Secondly, do the ordinary rdiator fan(s) come on when you press the switch?
Also, a bit vague in this cold weather, but drive around with the heater full on and really warm up the car. Put the aircon on and set temperature to cold. Does the air coming in feel REALLY cold?
Finally, in weather that's even just a little bit humid, if the aircon is working, you should see water dripping off the heat exchanger under the car. Leave it running for five minutes with the aircon on, then move the car a few feet. Look for a trail of water drips underneath. A change from level to sloping ground helps the drips fall off!
Best of luck.
Jamie Allmond
No-One

Post by No-One »

1. Should I hear this click as soon as I press the button, or is there a delay as the system detects the internal tempature?
2. When I have the A/C on for a few seconds, I can hear another fan like sound the sounds like it's behind the passenger footwell. Is this A/C or the recirculation function?
As for feeling the temperature, I'll try it when I get the oportunity.
Paul.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Paul
1) The click is pretty instant on both my old BX and my current Xantia. It's pretty loud if you have the bonnet open and get someone else to press the button.
2) Not sure what that noise is on your car on your car. Both my BX and the Xantia have two radiator cooling fans. They run when you switch the air-con on Also cars at work do he same. I'm fairly sure your car will too.
Jamie
No-One

Post by No-One »

Well then, mine's definitely not working. I can get a gas refill done for £25. (Cash in hand)
Paul.
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I bought a 1999 306 LX yesterday. As I understand, when I press the A/C button, I should be able to hear a change in engine revs. However, I don't hear a thing and the rev counter stays put. Is it just not engaging because it's cold outside? I need to check that it's working properly before the warranty runs out in 3 months time.
Paul.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>