307 driver and passenger footwells soaking wet

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith77

307 driver and passenger footwells soaking wet

Post by Keith77 »

I have noticed since on set of autumn last year that the car was fogging up really badly with the heater on. It became so bad that it was undrivable unless we had the air con running (not ideal at all in the winter, but it did the job of clearing the windows very quickly).
I realized there must be excess moisture somewhere and soon identified that the foot wells were wet.
Upon pulling back the carpet, I discovered the extent of the problem: the foam underneath was soaking and a small squeeze would literally result in a puddle forming on the floor pan next to the wiring trunking.
Problem is, I'm not at all sure where it is coming from. I've checked the over flow recesses (whatever they're called?) either side of the engine compartment, by the wipers, and they're clear -demonstrated by pouring bottled water down each. I'm not losing any coolant, and the door seals appear to be intact.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 307 driver and passenger footwells soaking wet

Post by spider »

My 106 has started to do this too actually (wet sound insulation) although I've not had chance to determine the cause either, same as you seals appear OK. Drivers footwell only in my case nowhere else.

In your case, take a door trim off and see if there's signs of the seal being damaged, the plastic sealing sheet and / or look around the speaker for signs of leakage.

With very tricky cases its sometimes easier (!) to take the carpets out then put the seats back etc and have someone hose it from outside but (I need to do this) but its a lot of work time wise to go this far.

Check door seals as I say, ideally hose it from outside then have a look for fresh signs of water inside.

Check around pedals after too, it could be a bulkhead seal although that seems unlikely, possibly windscreen seal too.

The drainage holes on the scuttle panel you've found if they are clear (pour some water in and check it appears on the floor (outside the car!) but they probably are OK unless really clogged with leaves.

Take pollen filter out too (under the plastic panel on the bulkhead) and check its not soaking wet, put it back / replace it.

I thought of heater matrix but if its not loosing coolant its probably not that.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

do you have an electric slide and tilt sun roof, is so it could be the drain tubes/gulleys are blocked
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:do you have an electric slide and tilt sun roof, is so it could be the drain tubes/gulleys are blocked
:-D Trust me to overlook the obvious :oops:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Check plastic isn`t ripped behind door cards and gullies on windscreen aren`t blocked , when you find source rip out the wet foam below carpet and replace with ordinary carpet underlay , the foam will never dry and with the underlay you`ll never notice the difference .
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;