1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2nd?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ceet12

1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2nd?

Post by ceet12 »

Hello all,
appologies for posting the same question on another forum, im trying to get as much info as possible to help with this issue, regards

got quite a puzzling question and problem here, cars a 1997/8 R reg 2.1td diesel 12 valave

went out the other evening in the snow and the roads hadnt been gritted, im always paranoid about water getting in the electrics in these conditions as noticed underneath the car there seems to be no splash guard? weather these were fitted to the 406 im not sure?, if it was i imagine the previous owner has probably removed it due to a speed bump etc, as thats happende to me before on several cars, so i was cautious about going out the other evening but had to go doctors as an emergency so i had no choice

since then ive encountered a problem

On first turn over of the car today it would not start, kept turning and turning didnt seem to want to start atall, a couple more try's and i think on the third time time it started first time (on 3rd attempt)!

i went out for a drive in the car till the engine was warm, tunred the engine off and it turned back on fine, i came home turned the engine of tried to turn the engine over again and it wouldnt start again, like it didnt want to even try, i turned ignition off and tried a second time, and again it started first time (on second attempt)??

ive since tried again while the engine was still warm and it did it again, didnt go first time, but on turning ignnition off and turning back on it started fine again on the second time?

i recently changed the glow plugs in december, and since then it started perfectly every time till this morning, maybe im paranoid but i was convinced maybe water has got in the electrics and affected this, i could be way of the mark here?

does anyone have any insight or any clue to what this could be?

id really appreciate any help atall!

thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds as though either you are getting air in the fuel supply or the stop solonoid is sticking, try pumping the fuel prrimer until its hard and then starting, if it starts you have an air leak.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 1997/98 406 2.1td wont start on first turn but will on 2

Post by spider »

406's did have shields on diesels however some owners threw them away or they came adrift.

I'd go for air ingress as a starting point though.

The only problem that I know can be a pump concern on the 2.1 is where it continues to run after being turned off but only for about 2 or 3 seconds. I know they do not stop immediately but compared to normal they can run on a bit longer than they should.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG