CV Joint gaiter clamps

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

CV Joint gaiter clamps

Post by smoker »

My the wide end of my offside inner cv joint gaiter has been secured for the last year using a nylon zip tie after I doslodged the metal band and couldn't re-secure it.

I now want to put a new matal strap/clamp on but am not sure how, or what I need.

I want to do the job on the car without removing the drive shaft but there is only a small gap where it could be possible to get tools in when luing under the car. Does anyone know if this is possible or better still, has done it successfully?

Then, I'm uncertain what type of strap/clamp to go for. There seems to be a perforated one, which appears to need a "pincher" type tool to squeeze it together (similar looking to a woodworker's nail puller). Then, there is a plain metal strap which seems to need a fancier type of tool (hard to descrobe, but with a build in cutter and two handle on the side presumably for tentionins and cutting - available for about £14).

Would wither of these work? Which is best? Is it possible to do it at all on the car?

Many thanks

Smoker

ps car is a 98 306 xud
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: CV Joint gaiter clamps

Post by evilally »

Hi Smoker, yes it will be possible to fit new clips in situ. I use this sort of clip:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-CV- ... 1e621d4486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do need a tool to fit them but it's not expensive. There is another buckle type clip but I've never used that kind. You can also use normal type jubilee hose clips, plenty of people do but a proper CV clip is preferable for clearance and balancing reasons.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always use Lygarex even though i have the proper tool it can be fitted using two pairs of pliers,

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
smoker

Post by smoker »

evilally - thanks, those are the perforated type straps that I have seen. The tools for securing them seem to be around £8 if I have the right one in mind. This looks most promising to a "cv gaiter strap" novice, especially given the limited space for working in. I initially tried a jubilee clip, but there is not enough room between the drive shaft and the nearby suspension components to acommodate the buckle. Any solution needs a lower profile buckle.

citronut - not familiar with Lygarex but at a quick look it seems to offer a nice, low profile solution. I need to look further to try and understand better how it works and whether I would be able to properly tension it using pliers, in the space available. I'm near Guildford.

MOT not due till mid Feb, so a bit of time to experiment (in the snow!)
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Ligarex is what citroen use from the factory,

to fit using pliers you grab the eyelet with one pair ad the tail of the strapping as tight as you can the the eyelet, then lever one set of pliers against the other,
at the point you get it as tight as you can doing this, fold the tail down slightly to stop it coming loose, whilst you take another bite at it, then lift the eyelet away bring the tail up against this, now snip of the excess strapping but leave just enough to fold over the end of the eyelet, now fold the eyelet flat against the strapping that is araound the C/V gator
Regards, malcolm.

smoker

Post by smoker »

If it is helpful to anyone in a similar position, my car was MOT'd successfully yesterday using 2 x plastic zip/cable ties on the gaiter. Tester said as long as it was secure (one test of which was no grease seeping out) it was OK.
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

smoker wrote:If it is helpful to anyone in a similar position, my car was MOT'd successfully yesterday using 2 x plastic zip/cable ties on the gaiter. Tester said as long as it was secure (one test of which was no grease seeping out) it was OK.
good to hear it passed the MOT, but i would not rely on cable ties long term as they have a habit of allowing the gaiter to leak over time,
Regards, malcolm.