Pump Wiring Botchery!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Pump Wiring Botchery!

Post by evilally »

Good man! I've saved that in my folder of useful XUD documents. I was looking at shims on Servicebox, £11 each :shock:

Old head:

Gasket, not looking healthy:

Block:

'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

EGR-B-GONE!

This chap looks a bit lonely......IN YO FACE!

Not much else to report, other than I'm waiting on some bits from the stealership.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

So I was pondering today how to blank off the EGR port on the inlet manifold:

....so I went inside for lunch while I thought about it:

...turns out the answer to EGR is Spicy Parsnip soup!

Taking the top of the original EGR pipe fitting and a new OE clip (these are £12!), I was able to fit it over a circle of steel cut out of the soup can. Sealed on both sides with gasket seal.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spicy parsnip soup :-D Sounds lovely. Must try some...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I was going to say a core plug, but one that fitted on the outside of it tightly with some suitable form of seal. I'd not put it inside incase it decided under depression to enter.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Are you sitting down? Here's a laugh! I finally completed the head swap tonight.......and the bugger STILL won't start! I primed the fuel system, left the injector unions loose, and turned the engine over by hand with the ignition on until I saw diesel at the injectors. Tightened them up again expecting it to fire after 2 or 3 attempts but instead I flattened a new Bosch battery which ordinarily would start an oil tanker. It cranks and after a while sounds likes it’s catching but goes nowhere, exactly as it was doing previously.

It’s too late at night to think about it and I’ve got a 150 mile drive to work in the morning, that will have to be completed on conventional fossil fuel…….although on the bright side driving a 182 through Argyll and Bute is hardly something to complain about.

In the meantime I’m consoling myself with a glass of Jack Daniels and a box of shortbread :drink:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

:(

Have you replaced the high pressure pipes ?

I only ask as I know with the later DW8 units (I know its not a DW8!) when they switch to electronic advance compared to mechanical advance (approx 1999) you *had* to take the pipes appropriate for the pump too as they were different, ie it would supply the wrong cylinder otherwise.

Not sure if that is any help.

Quick thoughts: Whip top cam covers off and pin flywheel, check that pump and cam sprockets are where they should be (!) regarding pin fitting.

Do you have a clear piece of fuel pipe in the supply to the pump ? , if possible fit one. Its rare but not unknown to be so full of air that it cannot run, even though fuel is sort of delivered to the injectors, you'd not see the air. The only case I saw of this was so bad the fuel appeared white due to the excess air.

I thought about preheating but eventually (yes eventually) it may of started without but given its making noises I'd check belt timing then think about the pipework if possible.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks Andy, I have refitted the original injector pipes. I triple checked the timing and turned the engine loads of times by hand and re-checked. All good.

Despite a lack of enthusiasm I managed to get out to the garage this evening. I got the engine running, albeit like a bag of spanners as it was previously. At least that should mean the head work has worked out ok I suppose, even if it hasn't solved the problem.

I don’t have any clear line, I will try and get some. I popped the return line off and put it into a jug. Initially the fuel looked like milk shake but that seemed to work itself out. After that the line passed maybe 1 small bubble every second or so.

I’ve run out of ideas, the only thing I can think of is that something has gone wrong internally in the pump. There’s a suitable pump on eBlag for £58 delivered, I might just buy that and swap it out to eliminate it if nothing else. I’ve never done a pump swap but it should be a walk in the park after all this.

Now, where was I……. :drink:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Ok, I picked up a pump from another '97 406 and finished fitting it today. The engine does start reasonably easily, but after 2 or 3 seconds the EML comes on and the engine starts to rev up past 3,000rpm with lots of thick black smoke. PP2000 reports idle control solenoid fault. Would that cause these symptoms?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

evilally wrote:PP2000 reports idle control solenoid fault. Would that cause these symptoms?
Really? I'm not sure a 1.9TD AS3 pump has such a thing... In fact I know a 1.9TD AS3 hasn't got one...

That's more 2.1TD EPIC territory Ally... It is a 1.9TD isn't it. You've not grafted on an EPIC have you?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I certainly did not! I went for a nap, and I awoke with an idea. Down the back of the pump, there is a cable connected to a little lever which I think has something to do with cold idle. I had to unwind it all the way to detach it from the old pump, and I just put it back approximately. I detached the cable altogether, and after a lot of spluttering, it seems to be running normally :-D I think this little cable was maybe pulling that lever too much, and perhaps providing too much fuel? It maybe just needs adjusted properly. EML is out now as well. Exhaust seems very clean indeed. Also, even when running normally on the old pump, there was always a bit of engine vibration under 1,800rpm, that has now gone. I wonder if this was a precursor to the running problems that it eventually developed.

The only thing now is that to my ear it sounds a touch naily. I think perhaps the pump orientation needs tweaked. I did use some spray paint to make a shadow of the old pump on the bracket and I've put this one back as accurately as I could, but who knows. I didn't refit the lower pump nut as advised by some people, this means tweaking the pump position should be straight forward enough.

A few small tasks to complete and I'll be taking it out for a test run, I can't believe it! :-D

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.