Pump Wiring Botchery!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Pump Wiring Botchery!

Post by CitroJim »

That's running rougher than a badger's armpit Ally...

I'd not say injectors as they normally produce black smoke...

I reckon if not compression which I agree is unlikely if it runs and pulls well at high revs, then it's running massively retarded. That'll account for the smoke (unburned fuel) as much if it will be injected when the exhaust valve is open...

Do check the mechanical cam, crank and pump timing.

If that is Ok then it looks like the ECU may have lost control of the pump timing or the pump is mechanically stuck in the fully retarded position.

Can you get access to Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostics? (any Lexia 3 owner will have it) as that will confirm it very quickly...

Be very careful with easy start. It's terrible stuff and can cause severe engine damage and engines can become addicted to it.

Do check the valve clearances. Any BoL that covers the 1,9TD engine will tell you how...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Nice one Jim, sounds like you've stopped me from unecessarily removing the injectors. Retarded timing makes sense. That's the first and last time I use easy start, I had to get it back to the garage to work on. I'll get on it tonight and report back! Looks like there's a Lexia owner in Glasgow, I'll see if I can get in contact.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Update from my garage PC. Going on the theory that the timing is retarded, I disconnected the timing solenoid from the pump, so that the pump goes to full advance. The car started after 2 or 3 goes which is an improvement. Not much smoke to speak of, nice steady idle, which I think confirms the retarded timing.

I have ordered a Lexia from Jim at Easy Diagnostics which will be here tomorrow. I'll probably sell this on once the job is complete.

In the meantime I'm freezing my nuts off outside removing timing belt covers to confirm timing. It's a serious fiddle on the 406 :twisted:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Ally, we're getting there :-D

In the Lexia/PP2000 you'll be able to see what the ECU demands the timing to be and what the pump actually sets to.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I don't know what sadist designed those covers, but I'd like to meet him :evil:

I can confirm that the engine is timed perfectly, no issues there. Lexia arriving tomorrow, update weather permitting!

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Ok, the results are in, and they aren't what I expected!

I'm assuming I'm in the right place, and that the actual timing reflects acurately what the ECU is requesting?

Looking at fault codes, the only one I have is:

....which I'm going to guess means I need a new plug or 2. On to that later.....

So that leaves one item on my list, valve clearances, which I'll look into over the weekend.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

An update, at last. I’ve been clearing the garage (it was cluttered with old broke down 405) so I could work on the 406 inside.

I got myself a new toy:

This came up at a good price, and as the plugs need changed anyway, I thought I would take the opportunity to do a compression test. Then at least I know what cylinder(s) I’m dealing with when I check the valve clearances.

I got one cylinder done tonight. On a stone cold engine it quickly built a little over 300 psi then my battery died :( I know the test is meant to be done on an engine at operating temperature but this isn’t possible at the moment. Seems healthy enough to me, on to the rest tomorrow.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a nice looking garage you have there Ally :-D

Don't forget a cold compression test on an XUD can be very revealing :wink:
Jim

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks Jim, it's my new garage. It also came with a very nice house, which was a bonus.

Hopefully I'll get the other 3 done tonight (access is a right pain). What would a cold test tell me over a hot test?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I seek the advice of the council. Here are the results of the compression test:

1 – 200 psi
2 – 300 psi
3 – 350 psi
4 – 400 psi

….so obviously it has problems. Now best case scenario it’s valve clearances, which means I need to take the engine off its mounts, remove the cam belt and cam shaft and install new shims. To me, I’m half way to doing a head swap anyway. I’ve seen a fully reconditioned XUD9TE head for sale that’s been run for 2-3 hours on a car and then removed again. Comes with a full set of new glow plugs, £130 or near offer. I’m tempted just to install that. The other thing that’s bugging me is that I managed to damage the injector seat on cylinder 1 removing the injector washer (there was no room to get the compression tester in the glow plug hole). This could account for reduced compression? At any rate, the variance on the other cylinders is out with tolerances, and I find it strange that compression reduces right to left, possible gasket problem?

Go for the new head?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Ok, recon head acquired for £120. Comes with new glow plugs and a set of injectors that I'll sell on, seems like a decent deal.

It has been fitted and run for 3 hours, would it be advisable to get a very light skim done before reinstallation?

Head gaskets.....there seem to be 2 schools of thought. Measure up carefully and select the correct gasket thickness, or just stick a 5 notch gasket on. It takes away any risk and the slight loss of compression is acceptable. What do you think?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've always picked the thickest gasket with an XUD/DT engine never had any noticeable problems. I know this is not correct however I also saw some techs do this too.

Not sure on the skim, the last one I did I did not bother, the one before I did but that did have some other concerns (it got warm) so I had it tested and skimmed.

You could carefully check it with a straight edge / feeler gauge and then determine what to do ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Agree with Andy on all points.. A light skim is only needed if a straight-edge and feeler gauge shows it out of true or there's dings in the fire seal areas...
Jim

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks all, I have most parts ordered up, game on!

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Work is well under way!

A question on EGR. The inlet is extremely coked as expected. I'd like to de-EGR the car while I have everything apart. Reading around, all I would have to do is pull the vacuum pipe to stop the valve opening. Howeevr, since I have both manifolds off, would it be neater to remove all of the EGR gubbins? Are there manifolds from pre-EGR cars that would fit and I can put the whole EGR assembly in the bin? I won't be surprised if all this coke generated by the EGR is what has caused my problem in the first place :cry:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.