307 1.4 hdi flywheel issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mozzy

307 1.4 hdi flywheel issue

Post by mozzy »

hi chaps and chapettes....i have just bought a 307 1400 hdi, i believe the flywheel has packed up, so just after some info on what i can buy to fit....there are a few from fiestas , 206s and c2s etc on ebay, are they the same, are there any solid one i can use in comparrison to these s**t dmf's. trying to do it as cheap as poss really
thanks
tom
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 307 1.4 hdi flywheel issue

Post by Oldpug »

There has been endless debate about DMF`s here and on every car site on the net.I`m old school and to me a flywheel was a lump of metal that stayed on an engine for ever.I also have been with Peugeot`s for over 35 years and it was not uncommon for clutches to last well over 100K.Now I hear of Peugeot`s having a DMF/clutch replaced at 35K at a cost of £1500+ !! With all this hassle and cost its very tempting to go cheep and "SOLID". My advice is do NOT,especially some of these micky mouse cheepo Chinese stuff on ebay. These new generation engines are designed around a DMF to absorb vibrations and so on.If you go solid something else has to "give"?? I have heard stories of various manufacturers engines braking crankshafts or cracking bell housings after running with "solid kits". Its a lot of work to remove and refit a gearbox so use good quality parts.A company like GSF can supply an O/E quality DMF/clutch kit for a great deal less than Dealer prices,and it will be the exact part for your model,which is very important.
mozzy

Post by mozzy »

like you i prefer older tech, i am a mechanical engineer by trade anyhow so labour is not an issue, i also have a picasso hdi which has had its day and is getting close to the scrap heap , i was looking at the gearbox today and it looks to have the same casings as the 307, so am wandering how different the ratios would be, if any .....will the picasso box fit (2.0 hdi into a 1.4 hdi) as the picassos box i fitted in august and had only 42k on it.....so after phoning around my suppliers, none of them list a dmf for the 1.4 hdi 307, so am now wandering if this is correct and maybe the dif has let go possibly (front wheels basically locked up, when pushed backwards it grinds and rumbles, im starting to wander maybe if the main shaft bearing is buggered or sun and planets broken up)
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

That sounds very odd? and terminal? if your saying it locks up when moved back with the engine off and in neutral its got to be something in the diff? remove the oil drain plug and I bet you will find a "Xmas tree" of metal on the magnet.I do not know about your other box but would be very surprised if its the same type.
If your box has eaten its self a 2nd hand box from an identical model would be the best bet.
mozzy

Post by mozzy »

yes thats the way im thinking of going, it seems as if the 1.4 hdi has a solid flywheel which is a relief....im not worried about spending a little as i paid less for it than its worth in scrap so happy all the way....2002 307 lx 1400 hdi, 125k £30 a year tax....tax til feb mot til june, very good condition and fsh i got it for £100 lol
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will look on pug service box,
firstly to check if your 307 has a DMF and secondly if it has get you a part No,
then you can aim that at GSF for them to cross ref it
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

307 1.4hdi Has no DMF
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mozzy

Post by mozzy »

the birdman, i have searched the tinternet and it seems exactly as you sayit does not have one, so my assumption is the sun and planet gears are dead, im working this morning then this afternoon will pull the gearbox out...and thanks citronut but am sorted now

anyone know anything about 2.0 hdi vacum pumps????????????/
mozzy

Post by mozzy »

definatly a solid flywheel, and a totally fubbard dif lol, took the box out , it had app 50mm of oil in it....i was disgusted as it had a new clutch fitted 6 weeks ago , the previous owner took it to her local garage, the actual mot tester fitted the clutch.......the problems i found are
1 not enough oil, and when i see 50mm thats prob an exageration as i squirt more when i fart lol
2 the top caliper mounting bolt is missing
3 only 1 bolt holding the starter in
4 3 bolts missing from holding the gearbox in place
5 dog bone bolt in finger tight and only half way in
the woman i got it from did less than 100 miles since the clutch was fitted before the box let go
i think the mot tester/ mechanic needs to be struck off by vosa if he thinks thats how a car should be returned, if it was me that paid him, he would have a wire holding his jaw in place now
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

An MOT tester is a failed Mechanic lol
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

That was one hell of a crap job!! have you got the invoice etc? it may be worth contacting the garage that did the job? the fact your a new owner should not matter,its the mileage and time laps since the job was done that matters.Your talking a lot of money so its worth a try with them.
mozzy

Post by mozzy »

he did it cash for her to make it cheaper, so no reciepts......im not complainig though as if it was done properly, i would not have it now lol......i only gave £100 for it
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

mozzy wrote:he did it cash for her to make it cheaper, so no reciepts......im not complainig though as if it was done properly, i would not have it now lol......i only gave £100 for it
bloody hell!! say no more.