How badly have I messed up?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ltings2012
New User

How badly have I messed up?

Post by ltings2012 »

Hey,

Just changed the n/s wishbone on a 206 1.4 lx. Didn't exactly go smoothly, ended up using spring compressors and a long lever bar but finally got it all back together. However whilst I was replacing the wheel nuts I noticed a clicking coming from the drive shaft (where it joins the gearbox) as I slowly turned the wheel. When you turn the road wheel you encounter a little resistance and can actually see the gearbox housing move slightly as you turn the wheel gently against the resistance. Whilst positioning the wishbone in place the drive shaft came out slightly and I lost a few drips of oil but it went straight back in. Could it be that I haven't put the shaft back properly or could the damage be more extensive? At no point was the drive shaft used to lever on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

tings.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: How badly have I messed up?

Post by Oldpug »

Difficult to say? with the front wheels off the ground you may get a bit of noise from a driveshaft no matter what? All I can say is for you to damage the CV you would have had to pull it so far apart the boot would have split.As long as the boots are intact I think it unlikely the CV is damaged.Also if the shaft is not located fully into the gearbox oil would be running out.So,if all that is OK,the lower ball joint is located correctly with the hub nut locked up,drop it on the ground and give it a try??
citronut
My Cars:

Re: How badly have I messed up?

Post by citronut »

maybe the triac came out far enough for one of its bearings to slide off inside the inner gaiter
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years