glow plugs change(806 hdi)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aliben

glow plugs change(806 hdi)

Post by aliben »

Hello everybody
My ex 806(a friend's got it now) probably needs a glow plugs change as it only starts with easystart.
Has anyone done it and could give some tips( heard they were at the back of the engine, basically where your can hardly access them).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Aliben
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: glow plugs change(806 hdi)

Post by Peter.N. »

Hdi's don't normally rely on the glowplugs to start although I'm not saying that isn't the problem but I thimk its more likely to be low rail pressure.

Peter
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

The fact that it will run on easystart would agree with peter's diagnosis that it is more likely to be fuel delivery related than ignition
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They are at the front on a 2.0 unit.

I would agree a fuel issue maybe though as if the pressure is not high enough the ecu will not open the injectors. Easy start (which they get addicted to, strange but true) would work as it would run on that then the fact its been turning at a reasonable speed would be enough to increase the fuel pressure enough for the ecu to signal the injectors.

Is the cranking speed good enough ? , they do need to whiz around at a reasonable speed to fire up.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, going on from what has said the HDi only pre-heats when the brass monkeys are really shivering. If all is good it'll start and fire with no glowplugs working at all even when it's Antarctic. It may not run very smoothly but it will fire and run.

The glowplugs do however come on to post-heat and stay alight for a few minutes even at quite mild temperatures to ensure smooth and smoke-free cold running.

That it won't start on anything but easystart indicates a much more fundamental problem and as said, it's not good to keep using it. It works by causing a small explosion and this does the same damage to the engine as severe detonation (pinking) would in a petrol engine. It can even hole pistons and damage the ability for valves to seal.

Nasty stuff :evil:

One simple cause of hard starting, after confirming the battery is good, is bad fuel. There have been a few instances on here where an HDi has been difficult to start or won't start and a drain and refill of good fuel has cracked it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...