XUD power steering pump interchangeable

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

treky9.9

XUD power steering pump interchangeable

Post by treky9.9 »

I'm hoping that someone could pass on their experience of fitting power steering pumps.

I have a 306 with the 1.9 TD XUD. It has the unusual setup of requiring a Citroen zx fan belt and is a 114 diameter pulley with the following code marked on it 784 9701. It has PAS, but no A/con.

So, my question is:

Can I buy any pump for an XUD? Are the mounting bolts all in the same position?

I don't mind buying a new belt if it's just the pulley that is different. I don't suppose it will be this easy, but there are lots of pug/cit pumps that pop up on Ebay just never my specific one.

Also, this will be the 4th pump that I'll have fitted in the cars 250k mile life. Could anyone recommend an in-line filler that they may have used.
As much info/links would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Lee
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: XUD power steering pump interchangeable

Post by spider »

I think the bolts vary a bit to be honest. The 306 for instance, the old shape 99% of them had a simple belt arrangement with a single lollypop tensioner and 99% of those would take a K0 belt (Regardless of what the docs said, that belt always fitted)

New shape it seemed to go a bit crazy with at least three setups, manual / auto tensioner and with / without AC or PAS etc.

It should last longer though in most cases, perhaps there's some debris in the fluid. I'm not aware of a filter suitable although fitting something to the pump inlet between the bottle and the pump would seem ideal as you want to strain it before it gets there not after.

What sort of tensioner setup do you have ? , do you have that odd spring arrangement (probably not as 99% of those had AC)

You may have to examine a few at the scrapyard to determine the hole positions if nothing else before deciding.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
treky9.9

Post by treky9.9 »

Thanks Andy,

It's a 95 plate phase 1. The belt tensioner is an Allen key through the roller if I remember correctly.

I thought it was a long shot that the bolt mounting patterns would match, but thought someone may have experience of changing them.

Looks like I'll be down the scrappy this weekend.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That design is about the same on all those models, any old shape 306TD will (should) have the correct pump. If there's any ZX's there, check those too. Ensure its not got AC (not many old shape did some P plates but not many diesels possibly just the later 306 XTDT)

Yes just two allen bolts holding the tensioner iirc, one in the pulley wheel and one down its 'body' and the nut or bolt underneath to push / pull the tensioner up or down.

The good news is that's the simplest one of them all. :) They should of kept that design for the newer shape without AC but did not. I know If I had to change the tensioner on one I'd consider going to that design simply as its so straightforward.

Are you over tensioning the belt ? , I've seen pumps fail but normally the bearing goes and the pulley / spindle comes out and makes a break for freedom...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
treky9.9

Post by treky9.9 »

No, Defo not over tensioned. It even squealed in the morning. I suspect swarf is still in the system, hence the question regarding a filter!
So from An experts point of view, most pumps should fit........, I know my pug, but nothings ever simple......
It's a mk1 with no AC.