206 1.4 hdi, possible turbo blown?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Goingnuts

206 1.4 hdi, possible turbo blown?

Post by Goingnuts »

Hi all, I've just picked up yet another 1.4hdi, this was diagnosed with having blown the oil seals in the turbo before I bought it. How good that diagnosis is, I don't know. Upon inspection there is a fair amount of oil on the turbo itself and around the cylinder head. You should be able to see this from the pictures.

The symptoms that are present apart from the oil are that the car struggles to start. No problems with a bump start, just takes time to start off the key, if it starts at all that is. Once driven and under load it has a high pitched whine. It sounds perfectly normal at idle though.

I've dipped the oil twice now and it seems rather high, I've got a feeling that it may have been over filled and the oil in the engine bay is what has been blown out of the breather. On starting today I did get a puff of black smoke from the exhaust. I've examined the cat and that is oil free, as are the exhaust manifold ports and the intake side of the turbo.

Apart from draining the oil out of it tomorrow, and finding out how much was actually in it, does anyone know how I'd find out if the seals are blown and if the symptoms listed are that of a blown turbo or just over filling with oil.

Many thanks!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 206 1.4 hdi, possible turbo blown?

Post by citronut »

if the turbo seals were leaking there would be oil in the manifold/s,
if the oil level ids way to high it will almost certainly push oil out were ever it can ( oil seals , crank case breather and dip stick tube,

deal with the high oil level fist,

you might find the oil around the outside of the engine is either from the rocker cover gasket or the turbo oil feed union
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Another reason for hard starting is the fuel lines under the Air filter , take them off and pressure test for leaks , not visible to the naked eye.
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

Thanks for the quick responses. I'd already made a start at stripping the manifold/turbo off. I've another few pictures of the state it's in. I'm definately thinking it was an over fill, and the oil is about to be dropped now. At least with it like this I can give it a bit of a clean up :)

Thanks again!
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

I've drained just over 4 litres out of it. Not bad to say it's capacity is 3.75. Possibly blown around a litre or so around the engine bay so I'm really hoping it was just an overfill. Time to clean it all up and then give it a service. Next step is checking the fuel pressures as recommended.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

oil in the intake doesn't necessarily mean anything
one of the intake pipes on my 607 HDI have maybe 1/2 cup of oil in it, I think it just collected in the bottom of the U over the last 80,000 miles
the engine uses very little oil between services (12,000 miles between top ups) and doesn't make any smoke
the intake on my 806 HDI is also always covered in a film of oil and that's equally healthy
Goingnuts

Post by Goingnuts »

Problem solved, it was the air resonator hose seal. Not sure what happened to it, but it wasn't present. New one in place and no more oil. The starting problem was down to a poor battery, obviously not cranking fast enough.