307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: 307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed

Post by jgra1 »

Ian could this all be down to that rocker bearing and that cylinder? I may be missing something but you may have fixed problem with that alone ?
John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jgra1 wrote:Ian could this all be down to that rocker bearing and that cylinder? I may be missing something but you may have fixed problem with that alone ?
John
it certainly should have been the first avenue to try before lifting the head off
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

any help here please?seems ive completly wasted time on this engine. i have rebuilt head,re ground valves,new gasket. put it all back together and exactly the same. when i had the head off,it didnt even look like the pistons had contacted the valves,no marks on pistons. the exessive noise appears to be coming from the turbo/exhaust manifold as if the gases arnt escaping rather than leaking valves. the car wont rev high and has no power at all. just woundering now if the turbo has failed or a blocked cat converter, this is the problem as i have no history of the car before the cam tensioner failed,may have had other issues. cheers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

next thing would be get it hooked up to a LEXIA
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Post by ianskill »

sorry,only just read these last 2 posts. i was suspicious about the rocker and the bearing but was no evidence of the rocker damaged itself. i fixed back the roller bearing and built engine back up before i lifted head. engine was same. since this i have re ground and removed a very high amound carbon build up from valves. non bent and non leaked when tested with fluid down the ports. i did inspect the rockers carefully for bent or cracks and nothing. in fact beginning to wounder if the pistons had hit the valves at all,
ianskill

Post by ianskill »

hi and thanks for all advice. i have had a guy out now who works at peugeot and he has said the timing is out. he said maybe not on the belt but on these he said the cam would have moved on a belt failure. i dunno how or where on a camshaft where it can throw the timing out. thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ianskill wrote:hi and thanks for all advice. i have had a guy out now who works at peugeot and he has said the timing is out. he said maybe not on the belt but on these he said the cam would have moved on a belt failure. i dunno how or where on a camshaft where it can throw the timing out. thanks
that sound a bit far fetched,
i might be wrong hear but im 99% sure the cam/sprocket have a woodruff key locking them together,

so if the cam timing were out the sprocket would be out of sink to the crank also,

unless on these later engines the cam sprocket is just a tapper fit to the cam???
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.
what is the engine code for this engine

as i have just looked on service citroen at the 1.4 HDI 70 and it has the blade type rockers and valves standing upright similar to the 2.0lt HDI's,
in which case i would say on valve to piston contact they would break rockers rather than cause any other damage,

unless the rev's were well up on belt failure,

also there is a woodruff key between cam and sprocket,

so you could remove the sprocket just in case the woodruff key has sheered :o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Post by ianskill »

ok,something new has cropped up that i am about to check, the camshaft itself has pressed lobes and according to the peugeot guy ,in the event of a belt failure the lobes do move and he is 90 percent sure without looking at it,says he worked on these engines and knows for a fact. i didnt really check the shaft because never know this,but after a google search,it does appear to have happened on hdis on some other forums,some other type engines and these hdis are pressed,ill confirm later today if mine is the case
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ianskill wrote:ok,something new has cropped up that i am about to check, the camshaft itself has pressed lobes and according to the peugeot guy ,in the event of a belt failure the lobes do move and he is 90 percent sure without looking at it,says he worked on these engines and knows for a fact. i didnt really check the shaft because never know this,but after a google search,it does appear to have happened on hdis on some other forums,some other type engines and these hdis are pressed,ill confirm later today if mine is the case
i have never seen a cam were the lobes are pressed onto the shaft :shock:
Regards, malcolm.

ianskill

Re: 307 1.4 hdi cam tensioner failed(solved)

Post by ianskill »

well we all learn something everyday. car is now fixed. cause was indeed 3 cam lobes out of place,saw it myself after comparing with another cam from breakers. an engineer told me they move on these 1.4 hdi engines from a cambelt failure as they are only pressed lobes on a holow shaft,explains why the camshaft is so light. id like to thank all though for all the help and advice in this thread,hope me resolving and updating the outcome may help someone else if needed.