Cam-driven PAS=vurnerability, truth or myth?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

Cam-driven PAS=vurnerability, truth or myth?

Post by nametooshort »

Another one for you French car experts out there.

Someone was telling me how the whole cam-driven PAS pump idea was a really bad design, because it causes a potential very massive vulnerability.

They said something along the lines of, that if you park the car with the steering in a certain position (full lock I think), and then go and start the car on a cold morning with the steering still in that position, bad things happen. Something to do with the steering rack using max fluid in that position, and cold viscous fluid on a cold morning.

The proposed scenario was that it puts too much pressure on the cam belt, which makes it skip teeth or break, which kills your engine.

That sounds kind of dubious to me, because:
1) cam belts are very strong, and that thing is only a little 10mm V belt, which should slip/break at waaaay less pressure then a cam belt.
2)I don't think steering racks use more or less force depending on which position they are in?
3) I am sure the pump would have a pressure relief valve.
4) PugCit are NOT idiots, at all, what so ever, they knew what they were doing back then.

But, I thought id ask anyways. Remember, I don't know much about...well almost anything in general lol.

So, was that guy 2 months ago talking garbage? Or was he correct?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Cam-driven PAS=vurnerability, truth or myth?

Post by spider »

I do remember hearing about it, but then again you could have a vac pump seizure too, more likely on the belt drive one given very rarely anyone will bother to check its oil level.

You are putting a bit of load on the belt yes, but less load than the cam I'd expect. Not really thought about it that much to be honest. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Peugeot/Citroen had cam driven pumps for years with out any problems,lots of models Petrol & Diesel.All the old Peugeot XU diesels had two belts being driven by the camshaft,one for the PAS & one for the vacuum pump.I had an old 405 Mi16 which had two belts being driven by one of the camshafts,PAS & Vacuum pumps.There are Citroen models that had the LMS suspension pump being driven by the camshaft.
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Hmm, lucky I asked! I didn't even know the vac pump had oil! How do you check the level?
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

That`s got me too ?? I can never remember putting oil in Peugeot belt driven vacuum pumps?? changed lots of diaphragms on them.
spider

Post by spider »

Its got a square plug on the side, similar to how you check the transmission oil level.

I took mine off to drain / refill it as its difficult to do in situ. I cannot remember what I put in it though, it would of been probably EP80 or some BV at a guess as was a few years ago now.

The cam driven ones are usually splash fed so nothing to do, its just the belt drive ones that need looking at.
Andy.

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I was told never to leave any PAS equipped car on full lock due to potential damage.
spider

Post by spider »

I think that's due to the pressure relief / return valve when at full lock, I think its more important to not "hold" it at full lock for too long, at least in my opinion.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My experience and belief with this setup on both 205s and 405s is that the belt is likely to slip (it being a thin vee belt) long before the cam is at risk...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

I remember XUD engined BXs had a bit of a run of broken cambelts. It took a while to figure out why they were breaking whilst other PugCits were not.

The reason was a loose hydraulic pump belts.

If the belt is loose then when the system demands pressure and the hydraulic pump cut in the load could actually stall the pump until the slack in the belt was taken up. This would then put an enormous shock load on the cam shaft and eventually break the belt.

The solution was to keep the belt tight so that the pump couldn't stall.
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

I guess that only applies to the hydraulic pump, right? That thing has a much higher load then just a power steering pump, since it lifts the whole car up. A Power steering pump would not be that demanding?