HELP! - 306 DW8 Possible Camshaft Seizure?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lighty
My Cars:

Re: HELP! - 306 DW8 Possible Camshaft Seizure?

Post by Lighty »

Not saying that something hasnt gone amiss with the workmanship here, and I just skipped through the thread tbh.
I can say though that I have seen several of these cam wheel failures, we call them the weak sort. I am sure we have had at least 3 that have just shattered for no reason, going back a few years now though.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Lighty wrote:Not saying that something hasnt gone amiss with the workmanship here, and I just skipped through the thread tbh.
I can say though that I have seen several of these cam wheel failures, we call them the weak sort. I am sure we have had at least 3 that have just shattered for no reason, going back a few years now though.
is it down to bad manufacturing or more due to how people are holding/locking the sprocket, and being unaware they have fractured/stressed it
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

citronut wrote:maybe they cracked the cam sprocket whilst holding it when undoing the center bolt
I thought about this while reading the procedure for the work they carried out. But on looking at the car again, I can see the cam sprocket has been pulled round right to the end of it's slots indicating to me that the camshaft stopped before the sprocket broke.
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

Lighty wrote:Not saying that something hasnt gone amiss with the workmanship here, and I just skipped through the thread tbh.
If you look at this photo, you can see the cam sprocket has been pulled round to the end of its slots. Indicating the camshaft stopped before the sprocket broke?

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats if the garage did not adjust it that way
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

citronut wrote:thats if the garage did not adjust it that way
They assured me they never touched those three bolts, just the centre one.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Every time this garage opens its mouth it shoots its self in the foot!!They told you that the mechanic that worked on your car has been sacked for incompetence and the cambelt was removed by a very unprofessional and unrecognized method? totally against manufacturers recommendations!! how they got the belt back on again and timed it up with out slacking off the tensioner or loosening the three bolts beets me?? How did they hold the camshaft when undoing and tightening the large centre bolt?? I hope you are making notes and times etc of all their comments.The sooner you get an experts report on the engine the better,all we can do is pass comments and your not getting any further. This garage wants screwing big time,they give hard working competent small independents a bad name.
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

A letter to them goes off tomorrow recorded delivery... I found out today that they are members of the Retail Motor Industry Federation which might give me some leverage should the reply be unsatisfactory.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

I`m surprised they are in the RMI as they sound like cowboys?? I`m sure they do not want to be struck off,so a mention of letters to the RMI about this case may do wonders.Just a thought ?? Are you a member of the AA or RAC if so they will help you and send out an engineer to make a report.Also some motor insurance policies include free legal advice,worth checking ? I can not emphasize the importants of an independent engineers report as this will be crucial in proving they have made a mistake which caused the failure.I can not understand garages allowing a serious dispute to drag on.If something like that happened after a job in my workshop I would be so fortified and concerned I would probably have taken the whole repair on the chin no matter what caused it,our fault or not.Remember even a top master technician can make a mistake or the job can just go wrong.It takes a long time to build up a good reputation and you can loose it overnight.Keeping that reputation and all your customers is the number one task of every business.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Any news on this one yet ??
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

Nothing yet, waiting for a written reply and going from there.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Do not let them drag it out,keep at them.By the way have you got the independent engineers report yet??
jamesgmg

Post by jamesgmg »

They have a letter stating my intentions and they can offer a resolution for my consideration. Still waiting for a reply from them.

I haven't arranged for anyone else to look at it yet, I don't have a huge amount of spare cash. I was hopeful they might come back with something after considering the evidence. Not so sure now...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Consult your insurance company. If you have opted for the additional legal cover then you may be able to use that and the legal team that you employ would engage an independent engineer to inspect your car.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Also if you are in the AA or RAC they will arrange for an engineer to inspect the engine. The only way you are going to get compensation for this is to prove its the garages fault,and the only way to go about it is with an independent engineers report that explains their mistake.I would guess an engineers report would cost £100?? If it says it is their fault and you have a solid case take it to your solicitor and the legal bill will be paid by the garage when you win the case.It will take time,be stressful, and will need a bit of money up front but if you let it drag on they may get away with it and you will be what? £1000 out of pocket and "carless".
One of my customers sued a Peugeot Main Dealer!!it dragged on and on,little man against the odds,but in the end he won and it cost the Dealer £5K !!!!.